Argh! Need help with Travertine step issue on deck

elbenn

Jun 1, 2016
dallas, tx
Our patio is on two levels. Part of it is about 6" higher than the other part and so there is a step. We had travertine pavers installed in a Versailles pattern. When I talked with the PB, he said that the step (which is very wide-about 19' on one side of the patio and 15' on the other side of the patio), would have a rectangular or square border pattern so it would be clear that it's a step-down (instead of continuing the Versailles pattern). We put step lights in to make the step-up area obvious. Well, the paver installers didn't put the border in and continued the Versailles pattern right up to the edge of the step.

I am very unhappy with this but feel if they add the border, it's going to look super-patchy. If you have travertine steps on your patio or are a deck installer, I would appreciate if you'd answer the following:

1. Are borders standard in this situation?
2. Would it be a hazard to not have a border? Seems like every picture I find on houzz has the borders.
3. If adding the border could only be done in a patchy way (which I'm not sure about yet), would you have them redo the entire area (which is about 300 square feet)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.