Are UV filters a scam?

I hear you there Rockish. I did the same thing. The bad thing for me was it was all my doing. My PB didn't push it, they threw it on as an option and I bit on it. I simply didn't do any research past the manufacturers literature, which is not like me. And within 3 months of opening I had removed my Ozone lamp and I am planning on removing my UV lamp and using that real estate for an IntellipH system.

--Jeff
So the crazy thing is they didn’t really push it hard on us either, just presented it as an ‘equal to’ option as the swg. As of today it’s unplugged.

Rockish, I made similar costly mistakes for my install (tab chlorination, pool tiger, ozone) - so don’t feel so bad! PB marketed lower free chlorine levels (0.5 to 1 ppm) with the system. Discovered TFP during the build and gained enough knowledge in a very short time through this site for the builder remove the pool tiger and installed the SWG on my own. Subsequently, I’ve also removed the ozone generator. The SWG system has been running for over a month. Water is TFP clear. No regrets! Best of luck. (y)

-Andy
Thanks. I look forward to it next year. So far the pool has been crystal clear following TFP. I can’t even imagine where I’d be if i followed the advice of the PB and kept a chlorine level of 1.

Reactions: acr1271
Like the OP we did our build before I discovered TFP and as a result we have a UV lamp in our system. Unfortunately it's hard wired in so the only way I can turn it off is to trip the GIFI but then we lose our waterfall light.

That said, other than wasting electricity there's not a lot of downside to having it - other than the initial cost I suppose. We also keep our pool covered at all times unless we're using it. I don't know how much sun-supplied UV gets through a solar cover but there's that little extra dose the UV system gives. Still not worth the initial cost I'm inferring.

It's kind of like my wife's vegetable gardens. They get copious free UV all day. Would they benefit if I ran a 150 watt UV light by them overnight? Sure. By some tiny fraction of a percent.

One thing to keep in mind - when I did my first SLAM I kept failing the OCLT. Then we figured that the UV light, left on overnight, was consuming FC. OCLT passed the next night. So keep in mind that the UV light needs to be off when performing an OCLT. I suppose that's evidence that the UV light is doing something.

m.

Reactions: Rockish
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.