Are pool cleaners necessary?

Dapdo

Bronze Supporter
Jul 15, 2018
Vineland, NJ
Looking to build a pool, 16x32 gunite with diamond brite finish. Pool builder wants $1000 for a kreepy krauly prowler 920. We are at the top of our budget for construction. Is the pool cleaner that big of a deal? Would rather put that money towards led bubblers and decking.

A cleaner is not necessary. Having said that, it really depends on your level of commitment to keeping a clean pool. If you are willing to put in the time every few days, to manually vacuum and brush, then you should be okay.

cleaners arent a necessity so to speak, but if you dont have one, you'll have to vacuum by hand on a regular basis.

Regarding the timers etc... man.... bells and whistles are appealing to some folks and the more the better and the more money is made.
Whether or not they make any sense within the big picture is a whole other subject.

I would be spending too much time if I manually cleaned my pool.
Might I suggest putting the $1000 to an electric robot cleaner. Look into that. You don't need to go through your builder for that. Plenty of suggestions/reviews here on the forum for those.
For a robot cleaner, you don't need plumbing done or work it into your controller.

A vac hose and head for your pole is not expensive on amazon. You can start with that, realize you want a robot, then get the robot.

Our dolphin was included in our pool quote. We would have received no credit for removing it. We didn’t choose to upgrade though and are very happy with it. There is no way I could live without it. It’s amazing what it picks up from what looks like a perfectly clean pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can get buy with a manual vacuum and pole indefinitely. I have done that for a few years now. At the time of construction of a pool, and I cannot emphasize this enough, spend your money on things that you can not add later like bullbers, more lighting, etc.

You can get buy with a manual vacuum and pole indefinitely. I have done that for a few years now. At the time of construction of a pool, and I cannot emphasize this enough, spend your money on things that you can not add later like bullbers, more lighting, etc.

Really depends on the value of your time. When I was vacuuming manually I could only do it on the weekends (long work days usually) so the pool would accumulate dirt during the week. Then I'd spend an hour cleaning on Saturdays and/or Sundays. Post-robot the pool stays clean all the time and on the weekends I can run errands while it's working, effectively doubling my time.

Geebot, the OP question comes down to this. They can either get a robot with their brand new pool, or add some other features such as LED bubblers to the pool and a larger decking area around the pool. OP seems to want to get the decking and bubblers. OP is asking, is this OK. To me the answer is 10000% yes since things like bubblers can never be added later, but with that decision remember that you will need to manually vacuum your pool once or twice per week, and that will take 30 minutes or so each time. IF this were your pool, and you were building it right now, would you build less pool now to get a robot now, or would you build more pool now and add a robot later?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.