Are non-pigmented Quartzscapes less prone to streaks/blotching/mottling?

celabss

May 11, 2022
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm about to replaster my pool and am trying to decide on the finish. I've always been happy with the look of plain white plaster, but there seems to be a trend among all the contractors I've spoken with where they provide little to no warranty with regular plaster. I really don't know if this is just a tactic to force an upcharge to premium finishes or if the durability of plaster is really that much less when compared to the various aggregate or stone finishes. Regardless, since I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on something without warranty I'm considering going with an Npt Quartzscapes finish. Aside from the longer warranty, price is the biggest factor in my decision and the Quartzscapes is closer to my budget than all other finishes. I have a few questions though and appreciate anyone that can help answer any or all of them:

1. I've read a LOT of posts on TFP complaining about inconsistent coloring or blotchiness (mottling?) with Quartzscapes. But most, if not all of the posts have gray or blue pigmented cement. Since I'm happy with a white finish I'm considering the Quartzscapes Ivory finish which is stated as being "comprised of white Portland cement and natural quartz aggregate". Since it does not have pigment added will it have a more consistent look and be less prone to the blotching issues others have mentioned?

2. I've read a lot of people that have stated they prefer the smooth finish of Quartzscapes compared to pebble finishes. I personally didn't consider it to be "smooth". While it's not bumpy like the pebble finishes I still thought it was rough compared to regular plaster. Is "smooth" in this context simply a comparison to the pebble?

3. Because I prefer a smoother finish I was told that since I'm considering one of the lighter non-pigmented finishes they could do a trowel finish. I was told that it would not expose as much of the quartz but would be very smooth and even though the quartz speckles wouldn't be as visible I'd still have the warranty. I don't really know if doing this simply skips some sort of final wipe down process or if it eliminates the acid wash that seems to be common with these types of surfaces. Has anyone done something similar or have any thoughts in general about this?

Thanks!

I agree with your thinking. Adding color pigments will not hold up well and often an immediate problem. A white finish will end up best over time.
A smooth trowel finish is better than pebble aggregate finishes, which allows for polishing to restore the finish and end up like new again.
Also, in time, more and more quartz will get exposed so there is no need for an acid wash or treatment at the start to enhance the quartz color, and which is actually detrimental to the longevity of a pool finish.
Lastly, regular white plaster will hold up well and nearly as well as would quartz and pebble finishes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.