Are my valves set to the proper openings?

@mknauss Thank you! I also just watched a few promo videos on some of these vacs and now realize I should have done this research before I went with the IFCS :\. Live and learn, I guess. Not a huge deal, but I didn't realize how powerful these little guys were, plus, since I have never owned a pool before, I wasn't sure what to expect from an IFCS or a robot. No harm done though, I'll have both and be ready for everything :)

Yes, most robots will climb the pool walls and also clean the water line.

No, true robots are NOT connected with a hose and do NOT require the pump to be running - those type cleaners are either suction side or pressure side cleaners. On your pool, a suction side cleaner could be connected to the vacuum port. Robots use a power cord. I believe the power cord carries 12v or 24v current to the robot from the robot's control panel. The control panel plugs into a 120v outlet.
The S200/Active20 is pretty popular with members here. Many have purchased from Marina Pool & Spa in Colorado.

I suggest you acquire a K-1766 salt test kit. There will already be some salt in the water - a little in the tap water and additional from chlorine and acid additions. Many here recommend solar salt or any water softener type salt WITHOUT any additives. I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations (@mknauss ). It shohld dissolve pretty quickly if you brush it around or jump in and swim. We have some members who call large salt additions "diamond day" (@kimkats ) and let the kids jump in to help mix the salt in.

EDIT: I thought I posted this earlier today. Came back tonight and saw it wasn't yet posted :hammer:

Reactions: mprzybylski
I suggest you acquire a K-1766 salt test kit.
I did purchase this kit as well while buying my test kit with anticipation that I would be needing it when the SWG is installed.

Since I'll be adding the SWG labor day weekend and myself and the kids will have free time, sounds like a "diamond day" is in order for us!

Reactions: proavia
@mknauss According to this page, it looks like this is the salt I'll need? The Morton salt is the only one available locally to me, the Diamong Crystal brand is not as available (I'm sure if I look enough I can find it, but I know the Morton one is available at my Lowe's).

About how many bags will I need to add before installing the SWG?

That salt will work just fine.

How much? What is your current salinity of the pool water? You need to test that be fore adding.

Got it, I have yet to test it because I'm still about a week away from adding the SWG (labor day weekend). I was trying to find a page on TFP that outlined "if you have this level after testing, you'll want to add X amount of lbs to the pool based on size", but wasn't able to. Is there a resource like that? I imagine that once I set my pool to be SWG in the PoolMath app, it will probably give me this info as well, but I haven't done that yet since i'm not ready.

Is there a resource like that?
PoolMath

Go to Settings and enable Track Salt.

When adding salt, for an example, if your initial level is 500 ppm, and your goal is 3200 ppm, add 2/3 of what is needed. Then brush, run the pump, etc and a couple days later, test salinity. Then add what is need to get to your goal.

In your climate, do not push the salinity high into the range for the SWCG. You have the same SWCG I do. My salinity is kept around 2900-3000. As we do not have overflow due to rain, there is no need to go higher. In fact, over time, your salinity will rise as you use acid to control pH and use fill water due to evaporation.

Reactions: mprzybylski
@mknauss Ah, ok, so I probably want to start doing this at some point over the next few days so that when the time comes to turn the SWG on I'm not scrambling a few days to get my salt levels proper. Thanks, as always.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just went to WalMart (happened to be in the area, not really with a purpose) and I saw Clorox pool salt and Morton pool salt. While the prices weren't terrible ($5.47 and $6.49 respectively), I hopped on TPF real quick while in store just to see why the Clorox was less expensive per 40lb bag and I saw some issues with it. I also read the back of the bag and saw that to raise salt for a 15k gallon pool, you'll need upwards of 8 bags if depending on your current salt level. I'll be running my tests tomorrow but I then hopped on here again just now at home and was able to locate the Diamond Crystal salt at a local HD. It's even cheaper at $4.97/bag and if I have to buy 6 or more the price lowers to $4.47/bag, and luckily there are plenty available at one of the two HDs that are within a good distance of my house, so just wanted to make sure this one was suitable as well?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.