Aquastar PLF35000 owners, please chime in...

GonnaTryTFP

Jul 7, 2019
Diamond Bar, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
About a year ago, I had my eye on this filter. But I said let me wait and see if there are more discussions as more people use it. But it seems any info about this filter and discussions are all old. Especially disappointing in YouTube that there hasn't been any new videos of people installing, showing off, reviewing this filter. The only videos are still just from the popular SPL guy. I know a user BLUESILV around here installed it and liked it. Another year has passed, those who own this... Do you still recommend it?

It is a 250 sq ft filter for your 13,000 gallon pool. We recommend getting a larger filter, 350 - 450 sq ft, that you will clean less often but it will do.

What model and size filter would this replace?

@1poolman1 @98Poolmaster @Poolbreh @bradgray you have any hands on experience with the Aquastar filters?

It is a 250 sq ft filter for your 13,000 gallon pool. We recommend getting a larger filter, 350 - 450 sq ft, that you will clean less often but it will do.

What model and size filter would this replace?

@1poolman1 @98Poolmaster @Poolbreh @bradgray you have any hands on experience with the Aquastar filters?
I haven’t used or installed them but I do trust Aquastar products
I trust Pool Nation I actually know Edgar and trust those guys alot
John and Zach the other two guys are very experienced pool pros and all three have or have had successful businesses and a lot of great experience in the pool industry.

Okay yes Purex made a cartridge filter you did say Pentair
Not a lot of stainless steel cartridge filters in that area in Diamond Bar
My mistake sorry about that

Wow, thanks for the blow-up model information. By any chance would you happen to know the gasket diameter? #7 in the diagram. I can probably live with this filter for awhile longer with a new seal. But reason I'm interested in Aquastar is because it looks easy to maintain.

About a year ago, I had my eye on this filter. But I said let me wait and see if there are more discussions as more people use it. But it seems any info about this filter and discussions are all old. Especially disappointing in YouTube that there hasn't been any new videos of people installing, showing off, reviewing this filter. The only videos are still just from the popular SPL guy. I know a user BLUESILV around here installed it and liked it. Another year has passed, those who own this... Do you still recommend it?
Great "little" filter. A little smaller than usually recommended, but there have been zero issues with the ones I have installed, mostly near downtown Sacramento where the older equipment pads just didn't have room for a 300+ sq. ft. filter. The 3" difference in diameter makes a difference when servicing in a tight area. Aquastar makes a good product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In general, do we need professional installation for pool filter warranties to be good?
If you can afford to have it professionally installed I would recommend.
They may notice an issue that you don’t see that may help or avoid a potential problem.
Like @ajw22 replied a lot of information is buried in the fine print.

Reactions: 1poolman1
Hey Guys, so the following list are from online shops that have the plf35000 anywhere between $875-$925 free shipping. Then there are online shops that are asking about $1100. I've never purchased any pool supply online. In the past, my pool guy got all the parts. Can you guys chime in if you've heard of any of these stores and whether or not they're reputable? Thank you!

poolsupplyunlimted.com
yourpoolHQ.com
yourpoolshop.com (advertises no sales tax.)
vitafilters.com
discountpoolmart.com
poolsupply4less.com
tspoolsupply.com
tcpoolequipment.com
polytecpools.com
unbeatable sale via Walmart

Polytec pools is very good. Me and others here have bought from them and had no problems. They are good people in NV who answer their phone.

Tcpoolequipment also good

The PLF35000 is 250 square feet, but they say that it is equivalent to a 500 square foot filter from a different manufacturer.

I do not see why their filter would be equivalent to a filter that has twice the surface area.

It looks like a good filter overall.

1711837810510.png
1711838033708.png

1711838214326.png

For a 250 sqft filter the recommended commercial rate is 93.75 gpm, which is 0.375 gpm/sqft.

1711838343037.png
1711838442890.png

1711838574160.png

Just the way the filter is removed to be cleaned seems so convenient. I wonder if filter makers will copy in the future. The old school stainless steel I have with the barrel bolt requires turning on pump to use pressure to open it. 😂 I know newer filters, from tried and true brands like pentair and Hayward, are easier and do not require turning on pump, but still, this aquastar style is so enticing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support