Aquasport 52 semi-inground/inground no backfill with wood deck?

Dood-in-IL

May 1, 2020
Central Illinois
Hi there, we are installing an Aquasport 52 aluminum panel semi-inground/inground pool. The pool can hold itself up as an above ground as well. We are putting the pool about 4' into the ground. It's a 52" wall flat bottom pool, no deep end. We've decided on building a deck around the pool instead of paving so we have contemplated not backfilling the hole around the pool and putting footers/posts outside the dig area. The pool is 10'x18' oval and the overdig will be 18" on the curves and 30" on the straight sides to allow for support bracing and some wiggle room during install. We have clay soil here in central IL, seems to hold itself up pretty good with not much erosion. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there would be any issues not backfilling the pool since decking will cover the overdig? I've noticed on some Doughboy instructions for their Hydroshpere pools they allow for the pool to not be back filled if decking will be built around it.

Thanks!

If the manufacturer says the pool is self supporting as an above ground pool then not backfilling should not be an issue.

My concern would be drainage and what will fall into that open area over time. I would consider putting a layer of gravel in for drainage and to keep the sides from falling in over time.

If the manufacturer says the pool is self supporting as an above ground pool then not backfilling should not be an issue.

My concern would be drainage and what will fall into that open area over time. I would consider putting a layer of gravel in for drainage and to keep the sides from falling in over time.
Thanks! I contacted the dealer who is also an installer and he said there won't be an issue not back filling. I may put a foot or so of gravel in the bottom just for safe measure and angle the walls of the hole slightly.

We've decided to go ahead and back fill. Thanks for the responses!
Im also burying an Aquasport panel pool and Im on the fence concerning to backfill or not backfill as I also am planning a deck all the way around the pool. My question to you is...did you coat the outside of the walls with anything before you backfilled? I have read on here somewhere there is a product that you spray on and it coats the walls from possible soil corrosion. I cant remember the name of it...anyway your thoughts are appreciated... Thanks!

Im also burying an Aquasport panel pool and Im on the fence concerning to backfill or not backfill as I also am planning a deck all the way around the pool. My question to you is...did you coat the outside of the walls with anything before you backfilled? I have read on here somewhere there is a product that you spray on and it coats the walls from possible soil corrosion. I cant remember the name of it...anyway your thoughts are appreciated... Thanks!

We ended up deciding on a paver deck instead of a wood deck. So we did backfill. We built a retaining all all around the pool deck area (to have a level area for the patio) and used limestone gravel for all of the backfill. 52 tons it took. We did not put any coating on the outside of the pool since the gravel will quickly drain unlike soil.

We ended up deciding on a paver deck instead of a wood deck. So we did backfill. We built a retaining all all around the pool deck area (to have a level area for the patio) and used limestone gravel for all of the backfill. 52 tons it took. We did not put any coating on the outside of the pool since the gravel will quickly drain unlike soil.
Gotcha! Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.