Aquarite SWG not generating chlorine

frizille

May 22, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Hi all -

My Hayward SwimPure Plus system is not producing chlorine and I'm trying to figure out if it has finally died or if it's fixable. The unit is from 2013 based on the serial number (3A13081-xxxxxx). I did the thermasistor fix 2 summers ago and they look fine. The cell itself is about 4 years old and has been recently cleaned. Pool is 20x40, 36,000 gallons.

What I'm seeing:

- TC and FC are both zero - which is how I know it's not producing chlorine - and the pump has been running 24x7 at 2500 RPM this week. I've triple checked with a trip to Leslies, some test strips, and my Taylor kit. Flow is good, sand filter has been backwashed in the last week, pressure shows clean.
- The SWG is showing the Power and Generating lights green, all others off.
- Knob is set to 75%
- Instant salt is 3000
- Average salt is reading 3300 (Leslies tested at 3200)
- Temp is 81
- Volts is 24.7
- Amps is 5.61
- Cell is T-15 (which is correct) and AL-0 and r-1.58

It's been set like that all week. What's interesting, is when I move the SWG to Super Chlorinate (100% essentially) or move the dial to 100% and leave in Auto, the Generating light goes dark and the Super Chlorinate light does not light. Amps drops to zero. Based on the above, it looks like the SWG is generating - volts, amps, and salt are all in the right range and the controller PCB is doing what it's supposed to do - which confounds me. Any suggestions?

A friend has a T-15 cell I can go get and troubleshoot with if it sounds like it's worthwhile, but it's a couple hour drive to get it.

First and foremost, get some chlorine in the pool - dose with liquid chlorine based on your CYA.
FC/CYA Levels

Take the SWG to Leslies or another pool store that can test it.
It could be the cell or it could be the controller.

Your volts and amps say the cell is generating chlorine.

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
Hi Allen, how should I interpret the results on the OCLT? I checked the chlorine level at 7am this morning and there's no chlorine in the pool (minus the shock I dumped in this morning) and the pump has been running non-stop for 4 days with the cell at 75% so there should have been at least *some* chlorine in the pool this morning if it was operating.

Looks like the switch contacts are probably bad.

You can try some contact cleaner or a new display board or just not use Superchlorinate.

I would just not use the Superchlorinate position.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Allen, water is clear.

Keep in mind algae doesn’t present as green until it’s completely out of control. You can have the start of an outbreak even though the water appears clear.

Based on evidence presented, my money is on something in the water is consuming chlorine faster than the SWCG can produce it. 😉

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.