Palm Desert, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I‘ve got a relatively new (2018) T15 Hayward/AquaRite SWCG salt cell linked to a seperate control box that’s from 2013, then that’s controlled by my Easytouch automation. Every time the SWCG Aquarite control box turns on, a big (almost violent) “THUMP” is heard through the wall. I presume this is the transformer.
Can this loud thud be tamed? Sometimes it’s more violent of a thud than others. Can I replace this transformer, or could this be a mark of a problem? The transformer box is bolted to our stucco wall adjoining the master bedroom, so you can see my frustration. Maybe placing rubber grommets may help, but the noise is marked also.

Ultimately, I’m happy with the salt system but it’s cumbersome since I have the Pentair Easytouch that can tidily hold the IC40’s guts. I’d like to eventually have an Intellichlor IC40 with a transformer placed in the Easytouch panel itself. Not sure if I want to go for that $800 upgrade now, if I can help it, but the thud needs to go.

If I did purchase the IC40 system, would I just need the transformer (Part #520722) solely for the Easytouch, along with just the (Part#520555) IC40 replacement cell?

KD,

There are a number of differences between the EasyTouch with and without the salt power supply..

When you have the salt system option you have..

A connector at the bottom of the ET so you can connect or disconnect the cell. This connector is connected by a cable to the "Surge Card" which is the AC to DC power supply that makes the DC voltage that runs the cell. The Surge card gets AC input power from the large SWCG transformer that is mounted in the high voltage area of the ET. Between the transformer and the surge card is a small circuit breaker. The Surge card is also connected by a small cable to the main card's com port.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The thud is common and I think most of the noise comes from the front metal cover plate in the box. Try putting some rubber bumpers in there to deaden the sound.

Are you controlling the AquaRite remotely from the EasyTouch? I ask because if you're not, its simple to do and whole lot less expensive than switching to a Pentair cell.

Here's the wiring diagram:

The AquaRites are good cells. Replacing them is less expensive and I appreciate that the electronics are not housed in the actual cell - in the sun/weather and in the path of the water flow like the Pentair units are.

The thud is common and I think most of the noise comes from the front metal cover plate in the box. Try putting some rubber bumpers in there to deaden the sound.

Are you controlling the AquaRite remotely from the EasyTouch? I ask because if you're not, its simple to do and whole lot less expensive than switching to a Pentair cell.

The AquaRites are good cells. Replacing them is less expensive and I appreciate that the electronics are not housed in the actual cell - in the sun/weather and in the path of the water flow like the Pentair units are.
I’ll give the grommets a try. I’m a bit Skeptical hearing the noise that that is the real culprit. This evening the ‘thud’ was almost unnoticeable- it’s so strange.
You’ve got a point in the electronics of the intellichlor cell. It’d be in direct sunlight with my equipment pad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.