Aquarite and 2 shorted boards later!

mything2

Dec 15, 2021
Houston Tx
My Aquarite system is 15 years old and I’ve had many issues with it giving bad readouts I.e.shows COLD when pool water is 86 degrees. I first replaced a main board 3 years ago with a non oem Optimum board and it was a straight forward install and good data resulted. About 2 months ago, I started to get spurious salt level readings - high salt when no salt was added even after heavy rain. I replaced the 3year old salt cell since it transmits salt levels and I figured it might be the cause of showing high salt…no change in high salt levels so I bought another Optimum non oem board. I always take photos of electrical hookups before disconnecting to be sure I install correctly. This is 240 volt power (comes with the jumper preinstalled for 220V) and there are 2 red wires -both 220V- that each attach to the lugs on either side of the jumper. All color coded wires that come out of the transformer/rectifiers are reattached to the board correctly. So….I go to the breaker box and turn on the pool breakers and immediately 2 of them tripped. I go to look at the board and it’s smoking! I disconnect it and see on the printed circuit side burns where the 220V power were attached. I know I had hooked it up correctly so now I’m lost. I even called in an electrician and he checked for continuity from the the transformer and that the 2 hot wires were 220V…all were good. He couldn’t figure out what shorted out the board. I’ve ordered a new non oem board but, of course, don’t want to install it until I find out what’s causing the short. Could it be the rectifiers or a bad transformer?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Dan

Welcome to TFP.

Without seeing pictures of what you did and the board we do not have any information to comment on.

You say you connected everything correctly. Well either you didn’t or the Optimum board was defective.

While you had a good experience with that vendors board 3 years ago we hear of many problems when members try to use them. Lots has changed in vendors quality control over the last 3 years.

Try another board. Preferably a genuine Hayward. Take pics of the installation and post it here before you flip the power on if you want a review of your work.

Welcome to TFP.

Without seeing pictures of what you did and the board we do not have any information to comment on.

You say you connected everything correctly. Well either you didn’t or the Optimum board was defective.

While you had a good experience with that vendors board 3 years ago we hear of many problems when members try to use them. Lots has changed in vendors quality control over the last 3 years.

Try another board. Preferably a genuine Hayward. Take pics of the installation and post it here before you flip the power on if you want a review of your work.
My Aquarite system is 15 years old and I’ve had many issues with it giving bad readouts I.e.shows COLD when pool water is 86 degrees. I first replaced a main board 3 years ago with a non oem Optimum board and it was a straight forward install and good data resulted. About 2 months ago, I started to get spurious salt level readings - high salt when no salt was added even after heavy rain. I replaced the 3year old salt cell since it transmits salt levels and I figured it might be the cause of showing high salt…no change in high salt levels so I bought another Optimum non oem board. I always take photos of electrical hookups before disconnecting to be sure I install correctly. This is 240 volt power (comes with the jumper preinstalled for 220V) and there are 2 red wires -both 220V- that each attach to the lugs on either side of the jumper. All color coded wires that come out of the transformer/rectifiers are reattached to the board correctly. So….I go to the breaker box and turn on the pool breakers and immediately 2 of them tripped. I go to look at the board and it’s smoking! I disconnect it and see on the printed circuit side burns where the 220V power were attached. I know I had hooked it up correctly so now I’m lost. I even called in an electrician and he checked for continuity from the the transformer and that the 2 hot wires were 220V…all were good. He couldn’t figure out what shorted out the board. I’ve ordered a new non oem board but, of course, don’t want to install it until I find out what’s causing the short. Could it be the rectifiers or a bad transformer?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Dan
Thanks…attached are 4 photos..2 show the hookup of the new Optimum board and 2 photos show the burned circuit board that tripped 2 of 4 breakers…The 220V power circuits were confirmed operable by an electrician. While u comment that non OEM boards may have quality control issues (I agree), after the new board shorted out, I actually reinstalled the initial board (also Optimum) which was working although giving bad readouts (cold when water temp 86 degrees) and that board (installed exactly the same) also shorted out! What could be causing this short..transformer, 2 rectifiers? Hope this info helps. Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_0472.jpeg
    IMG_0472.jpeg
    468.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0468.jpeg
    IMG_0468.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0502.jpeg
    IMG_0502.jpeg
    389.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0507.jpeg
    IMG_0507.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 13
GLB-PCB-RITE_Low_Voltage_Power_Supply.jpg

James
TUVM!
I know the colored wires were correctly connected so that’s not the cause.
Haven’t done your resistance checks yet but can you say that:

if the transformer is bad or rectifiers (is there a resistance check for them?) and blue-white, violet-gray resistance checks might show an issue, could a short like the burn on the board you see on the photo might result?

Thanks James
Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.