AquaLink Z4 and Hayward TriStar Pump Communication

Aug 20, 2017
Simsbury, CT
jrm10838 , I am in a similar dilemma- I have an Aqualink Z4 with a Jandy Stealth unit. Well, after two years the stealth died (no idea why, pool tech says power surge), and he recommended replacing with a Hayward Tristar- which we did.

Fast forward to yesterday, he gets the Tristar installed, and hooked up to the Z4 system but the Z4 cannot control the pump, it just continually runs- so things like schedules, etc are out of the question until he can figure it out.

I'm just looking to see if you eventually got this corrected- I'm assuming the communication wiring diagrams for the Hayward unit and the Aqualink are different. I'm fine not being able to control the speed using the Aqualink, but not having the ability to turn the pump OFF or use schedules kind of defeats the purpose.... The Pool Co I'm working with are very smart and actually installed the system originally before I purchased the house, I'm sure they can figure it out, but I'd like to be able to point him in the right direction if I can.

I also realize this post is like 2.5 years old so, hopefully SOMEONE will see this.

Thanks in advance!

Branden,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to find the answers to all your pool equipment questions, no matter who owns your "Bury"... :shark:

The number one rule in automation is to make sure the Automation, any VS pump, and any SWCG are all the same brand so that they can "talk" with one another.

I have no idea why your "smart" pool tech would install a pump that is not compatible with your current automation.. It just does not make any sense to me.

My first reaction would be to return the Hayward pump and have them install a Jandy pump that can talk to your automation.

The next option is to use the "third" party control method, which allows individual relay outputs from your automation system to select up to 4 speeds that are preset into your Hayward pump. Basically turning your VS pump into a 4-speed pump. This option also assumes that you have 4 unused relays inside your AquaLink, which I doubt. In my opinion, this is a clunky way to make something barely work...

Please let us know how this turns out as it might help others in the future..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

There is a way for the two to talk to each other but it is a lot of wiring. It is shown in the manual. I will help you if possible. I sent you a private message.

Hey, I'm also interested in integrating a Hayward TriStar (VS) pump with the AquaLink Z4 if that is possible?
I've had a look at the manual but doesn't seem to give any info on integration with automation apart from Hayward's Omnilogic

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.