mfifield01

May 11, 2022
Bee Cave, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm still sorting out the equipment on my new pool build. The person working on the equipment told me that I won't be able to use spillover mode, since I won't have the Aux space. I'm trying to figure out what is taking up all of the spaces. The Glacier chiller will take Aux 3. Does the Jandy epump take up Aux 1? Does the Air Blower take Aux 2? Jandy Nicheless LEDs take Aux 3?

It is best you post picture of your equipment pad, especially the plumbing after the filter/heater/chiller that leads to pool returns. Do you have a spa?
Also post a picture of your AquaLink box with the cover off (the plate over the wiring) so we can see the relays. Appears you have the RS4 which has 4 relays and the first relay is dedicated to the main pump

Yes, I have a flush spa. Here's a picture of the equipment pad to pool returns. The picture is before the JVA was installed to switch between spa and pool returns (on top). I'll get a picture of the AquaLink box tonight.

Attachments

• 20220528_085144.jpg
    20220528_085144.jpg
    700.7 KB · Views: 7
I think I have my answer by looking through some other threads. It looks like Aux1 is the Air Blower, Aux2 is the Light, and Aux3 would be the Chiller. As I understand, the fourth would be tied to Jandy epump. Below is screenshot. Is there a way to set the JVAs to mimic spillover mode in the System Setup? @PoolGate

1661264572196.png

An RS4 has 3 Aux ports plus an "extra aux" which is either solar or re-assignable. The e-pump does not consume an aux port. I don't think heaters or chillers do either. JVAs do however. My 4 aux ports are used for lights, 2 JVAs and a relay controlled electrical outlet.

What model Aqualink do you have? Mine is an RS-4 P or S. Meaning I can control a pool OR a spa, but not both.

Post a print screen of this same port.

1661266746159.png

Chiller will use an AUX since it is controlled by a high voltage relay.

Any high voltage controlled device will use an AUX.

None of mine do.

None of what do?

It looks like you use three of your four high voltage relays with your filter/pump relay powering your SWG, pool light, and garden light. Each uses an AUX spot except for the filter/pump.

Then you have two available AUX to assign to actuators.

And you have one unused high voltage relay that cannot be used for lack of an AUX to plug it into.

I have the IQ904-P (RS-4). I have 2 - JVAs right now. One will be added for the Glacier Chiller. As mentioned, this does need a high voltage relay. I believe you need one relay for both the chiller and JVA (second image from manual).

1661268008228.png

1661268034254.png

None of what do?

It looks like you use three of your four high voltage relays with your filter/pump relay powering your SWG, pool light, and garden light. Each uses an AUX spot except for the filter/pump.

Then you have two available AUX to assign to actuators.

And you have one unused high voltage relay that cannot be used for lack of an AUX to plug it into.

AUX1=Light
AUX2=JVA
AUX3=JVA
Extra Aux=Outlet

Yes, the pump, heater, etc all are connected to relays, but they are not keyed to an AUX port that I can see.

1661268329464.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, the pump, heater, etc all are connected to relays, but they are not keyed to an AUX port that I can see.

Pump and heater are connected to LINE side of relays and not controlled by the relay so does not use an AUX.

Pump and heater are connected to LINE side of relays and not controlled by the relay so does not use an AUX.

Right and if he can open up another AUX he can add another relay if needed. Aux ports are what are in short supply with Aqualink which really limits expandability.

I hate to blame the victim but your system should have been planned better and you should have got an RS6 or RS8 system and this would be a non-issue.

Reactions: PoolGate
I hate to blame the victim but your system should have been planned better and you should have got an RS6 or RS8 system and this would be a non-issue.

I totally agree with this and the cost is not that much more to go larger. This is my case as well.

Talk to your builder about him replacing your RS4 with an RS6 or RS8 for some upcharge.

He can use the RS4 in another project.

I would rather have a system that works correctly then constantly curse your builders lack of knowledge.

This is about a $1,000 problem which is the cost of an Aqualink RS8 board. Maybe less if you can find one on eBay. @PoolGate is good at that.

In the overall cost of your pool build I think you have spent more than that on other overages.

This i about a $1,000 problem which is the cost of an Aqualink RS8 board. Maybe less if you c n find one on eBay. @PoolGate is good at that.

Yep :) but figure out what is actually needed before getting another one. For instance, do you need "P & S" instead of "P or S"?

I just talked to the pool builder. He's going to talk to the guy handling the equipment startup today about what is needed. The guy handling the equipment wanted to blend the spa return JVA with a cam to have a spillover mode. It's a flush spa. I think he was trying to draw it down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.