Aqualink RS4 Aux connections

The guy handling the equipment wanted to blend the spa return JVA with a cam to have a spillover mode. It's a flush spa. I think he was trying to draw it down.
I don’t understand what that means.

Will you be able to stop the spa spillover?

Will you be able to manually run the spillover from your Aqualink controls?

Will the Aqualink be able to automatically run the spillover based on its programming?

I think you need your personality board replaced with a P&S board. Ask your builder about getting the proper board. It is just a small daughter board like the below. I would go with an RS-PS6 or RS-PS8.

1661272110056.png

I don’t understand what that means.

Will you be able to stop the spa spillover?

Will you be able to manually run the spillover from your Aqualink controls?

Will the Aqualink be able to automatically run the spillover based on its programming?
In pool mode, it sends some water to the spa return. The spa is flush, so water flows between spa and pool freely. I think it would draw down the spa in spa mode. It would just be programmed as spa mode. In the end, the spa drain would be on and it would return water to both the spa and pool. The picture below is the flush setup.

Attachments

• 20220729_151357.jpg
    20220729_151357.jpg
    813.5 KB · Views: 7
I don't have experience with that type of spillover design.

Your spillover should not cause much aeration which is what we want to stop to keep the aeration from raising your pH.

Do you see churning of the water as it passes over the spa edge into the pool or is it a clear flow?

Haveng spillover mode on your Aqualink may not be that important with your setup.

No churning. You see slight ripples.

Those ripples will cause some pH rise.

Not running your spillover most of the day will give you the most stable pH.

You need to decide if you want to go after every bit of pH stability.

I'm not sure if I need to run the spa during the day. Right now, I run it to filter any dirt out from the bottom. The normal pool/filter mode, does push some water into the spa to get chemicals in it.

I think the overall thing is around the way the spa works when you use it. The pool builder has mentioned spillover to lower it for use. I think that term is getting used incorrectly. My wife is under the impression that the pool (or spa) will lower so that the hot water doesn't blend like it is now. I'm still trying to figure this out.

In pool mode, it sends some water to the spa return. The spa is flush, so water flows between spa and pool freely. I think it would draw down the spa in spa mode. It would just be programmed as spa mode. In the end, the spa drain would be on and it would return water to both the spa and pool. The picture below is the flush setup.

How far above the surface is the spa edge? Was this your design to have it that flush with the pool?

I could be filling it up incorrectly, but water flows over the spa edge right. There are 6 lines of tiles on the side of the pool. I fill it up to the middle (3).

Attachments

• 20220708_181013.jpg
    20220708_181013.jpg
    635.9 KB · Views: 4
I think the overall thing is around the way the spa works when you use it. The pool builder has mentioned spillover to lower it for use. I think that term is getting used incorrectly. My wife is under the impression that the pool (or spa) will lower so that the hot water doesn't blend like it is now. I'm still trying to figure this out.

Yeah, in SPA mode the spa water should be isolated from the pool water so you just heat the spa volume.

When people get into the spa some spa water flows over the spillover and the spa water level adjusts for the number of people in.

But the spa spillover lowest point needs to be above the pool water level for the spa water to be isolated in SPA mode.

You don't want cold pool water sloshing into the spa while using it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I could be filling it up incorrectly, but water flows over the spa edge right. There are 6 lines of tiles on the side of the pool. I fill it up to the middle (3).
For clarification - when your pool water level is middle of the skimmer - which is normal level — how far above or below the water level is the spa tiles that allow the water to spillover to the pool?

In theory, when in spa mode - you want suction from the spa and return only to the spa to maintain all hot water in the spa. it sounds as that is not feasible with your spa design - but maybe you can clarify that .

When the water is in the middle, it is about a 1/2" above the tile wall around the spa. It flows a little bit to/from the spa. I'll measure the skimmer to make sure the middle of the waterline tile is the middle of the skimmer. The autofill isn't hooked up yet, so I've just been filling to what I think is the middle.

When the water is in the middle, it is about a 1/2" above the tile wall around the spa. It flows a little bit to/from the spa. I'll measure the skimmer to make sure the middle of the waterline tile is the middle of the skimmer. The autofill isn't hooked up yet, so I've just been filling to what I think is the middle.
OK thanks for info as that is helpful. Maybe the PB has the auto level system set differently - do you know when that will get hooked up?

You mentioned - “There are 6 lines of tiles on the side of the pool. I fill it up to the middle (3)”.- Do you have those same 6 tiles that are along side the skimmer mouth? Does the top of the 3rd tile put it to the middle of the skimmer mouth?

Reactions: PoolGate
I'm not sure when it will get in. I know that the drain portion doesn't work after the big storms yesterday. I had to pump out with a garden hose.

Just looked and the middle of the mouth looks like the middle of the tiles. Is there a way to measure inside of the skimmer?

I messed around with the JVA on the spa return side. While in spa mode (spa drain/spa return), I blended some water to the pool return. It would draw down the spa (pic below).

Attachments

• 20220823_194955.jpg
    20220823_194955.jpg
    681.4 KB · Views: 6
Just looked and the middle of the mouth looks like the middle of the tiles. Is there a way to measure inside of the skimmer?

Why do you want to measure the inside of the skimmer?

I messed around with the JVA on the spa return side. While in spa mode (spa drain/spa return), I blended some water to the pool return. It would draw down the spa (pic below).

If you divert some water to the pool when in SPA mode the level of the spa will lower. The suction is only pulling water from the spa volume and has no way to replace the water you diverted to the pool.

Why do you want to measure the inside of the skimmer?

If you divert some water to the pool when in SPA mode the level of the spa will lower. The suction is only pulling water from the spa volume and has no way to replace the water you diverted to the pool.
To measure the level outside of the pool.

I believe this is the method the person working on the equipment suggested for the spa.

To measure the level outside of the pool.

I believe this is the method the person working on the equipment suggested for the spa.

I am still confused as to what that will tell you.

You can remove the skimmer lid and see what water depth there is between the deck and the pool.

Just trying to get to the middle of the skimmer. Based on what I read on here last night, you don't have to be in the middle. Once autofill is setup, it could be a little lower.

Just trying to get to the middle of the skimmer. Based on what I read on here last night, you don't have to be in the middle. Once autofill is setup, it could be a little lower.
I don't want to confuse things, but I went back and read the posts. The original issue was that automation could not be put in Spillover mode because of lack of AUX on system. Then OP stated it is a flush spa and that pool water & spa water was mixing/moving back and forth over the spa tile wall. Following that the water level was at the 3rd tile (total of 6) which is also in middle of the skimmer opening and as I understand it, that water level allows water to flow back & forth over the flush spa. There is no autofill yet installed so the OP does not know if the actual water level will lower or higher than the current level he is maintaining via manual fill.

So until the PB can review this, it is not known if a spillover feature is needed or capable of being set up. The PB was sending someone out to review this with the OP.
My question to the PB would be, when the OP has the system in SPA mode, will the spa maintain the hot water (heater on) in the spa or will it continue to move across the flush spa wall into the pool? In thinking through that, maybe it initially flows over to the pool until the spa water level drops then it just circulates in the spa.

Yes, there was some confusion on my part. I was under the impression that I need Spillover mode. With my flush spa, it might not be needed. There's a Spa makeup (I believe that is term) that is active in Pool mode. This returns some water to Spa. Also, it does move some over the wall (back and forth).

I tested with the heat pump last weekend and I can maintain 102. It does take about an hour plus to get to that temp, but I think that is normal for a heat pump (gas heater took about 10-15 minutes). As you sit next to the pool, you can feel cooler water.

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.