Aqualink Dead and board is fried

Oct 20, 2015
Temecula/CA
First let me say I hired the local pool company and they came out once and despite my texts/calls he never came back. He had other more important jobs I guess so now I am learning to do this on my own (maybe). I've done all my own pool stuff over the past 15 years.
ok, its the jandy aqualink Rs4 board. I have a controller in the house and it was all put in back in 2004.

We believe the spa 4 way switch went bad, was causing a short and kept blowing the 3amp fuse on the board. Also, my transformer died during this time. I unplugged the spa switch, got a new transformer, new 3amp fuse and thought all would be good. The board won't turn on, won't light up, nothing. I did confirm power is going to the board! The new transformer is working perfectly.
So the board is just dead!

I thought I could buy a used ebay board and just plug in the wires as they are on mine. But someone told me if the firmware isn't the same then my house controller won't work.

Is this true?
Could I pull the chip out of my dead board and install into an ebay board?

My chip on the board reads "ALRS 4 p&s 8158JJ" if this means much.
I was told I need to find another board that says 8158JJ which isn't going to happen.

I'm thinking of just going with the iaqualink if I have to buy all new stuff.

Another side issue, my spa heater hasn't worked in 2 years. It makes a really bad rattle and doesn't get hot. We stopped using it so if anyone knows anything about that let me know. Maybe its something I can repair or may need a whole new heater.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Which model house controller do you have? The Aqualink All-Button Panel or the Aqualink OneTouch Panel? I think the All-Button will work with any software level Aqualink board.

Do you have the Load Center with circuit breakers with the relays? Getting the right replacement broads may be easier then replacing the entire Load Center. It depends on the condition of what you have.

You may want to talk to these folks and see what they suggest...

This would get you a new board and the iAqualink connection...

What model heater do you have?

Which model house controller do you have? The Aqualink All-Button Panel or the Aqualink OneTouch Panel? I think the All-Button will work with any software level Aqualink board.

Do you have the Load Center with circuit breakers with the relays? Getting the right replacement broads may be easier then replacing the entire Load Center. It depends on the condition of what you have.

You may want to talk to these folks and see what they suggest...

This would get you a new board and the iAqualink connection...

What model heater do you have?

I do have the All-Button panel.
This is what my system looks like (this isn't my picture but looks very close to this)

Not sure what you mean "load center" but my box does have 3 circuit breakers and 3-4 relays. I was planning on just getting the board, not replacing anything else as its all ok.

thanks for the links, 'll check them out.

my heater is a Hayword and i found this video which I think is the same problem mine has. if so, I can fix this.

gang,

I had a Jandy RS system I installed myself and unfortunately I had a severe direct lightning hit that exploded a palm tree about 15' from my RS. This was after Jandy changed their DIY policy to be very unfavorable. So I looked at ways to fix and not have to buy much new. I spoke with the people Allen referenced above and they are fantastic. They'll tell you on the phone if they can repair before you send it in and I'm quite certain they can address your firmware issue. I think their standard repair fee was $150 but double check with them. They also repair in 2-3 days.

I also wouldn't hesitate to switch to iAqualink 2.0. I never had an inside controller and never missed it. Wires are in the wall to add it if I ever needed but I never will. I've since replaced with Pentair Intellicenter and am thrilled. Much better system in my opinion but you may be able to repair your system cheaper than mine would have cost. Plus I had planned to phase out Jandy before the lightning strike anyway.

Chris

Reactions: daltongang
gang,

I had a Jandy RS system I installed myself and unfortunately I had a severe direct lightning hit that exploded a palm tree about 15' from my RS. This was after Jandy changed their DIY policy to be very unfavorable. So I looked at ways to fix and not have to buy much new. I spoke with the people Allen referenced above and they are fantastic. They'll tell you on the phone if they can repair before you send it in and I'm quite certain they can address your firmware issue. I think their standard repair fee was $150 but double check with them. They also repair in 2-3 days.

I also wouldn't hesitate to switch to iAqualink 2.0. I never had an inside controller and never missed it. Wires are in the wall to add it if I ever needed but I never will. I've since replaced with Pentair Intellicenter and am thrilled. Much better system in my opinion but you may be able to repair your system cheaper than mine would have cost. Plus I had planned to phase out Jandy before the lightning strike anyway.

Chris

I think I will just upgrade to the aqualink 2.0 upgrade kit. After seeing some videos its light years ahead of my my wired wall controller. For $800 it seems like a decent deal and pretty simple to install. I found my heater parts to fix the rattle and thermostat for under $100 so I'm going to tackle that also. So for under $1000 I will have control of my pool/spa with my phone and a working heater again which will make the wife really happy. (haven't used the spa in over 2 years so its just a lawn ornament right now)

Too bad about your lightning strike but just as in my case, it's forced you to upgrade so it worked out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.