Aqualink Clarification

Jul 13, 2011
Austin, TX
Hi all!

I have an Aqualink RS 2.0 system that is controlling a Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater. I am looking for clarification on exactly what to expect when in spa mode.

I understand that the controller and its temperature sensor are controlling the heater. The heater is set to 104 so it never overrides the controller. Here's my question: when the spa temperature reaches the desired temp (let's say 100 degrees), does the controller send a signal to the heater to stop heating, or does it turn the power off to the heater altogether?

What I'm seeing is that when it gets to temperature, the controller appears to be shutting down power. The LED light on the controller goes out and the entire panel on the heater goes entirely blank.

Is this normal operation? Will the controller power it back on once the temperature goes below the set temperature?

Thanks for the clarification!

I'm fairly certain that the heater is sent a low voltage command to turn on and off. The heater itself may power itself off but the aqualink is not cutting power.

What you are seeing is normal.

Aqualink controls a Pentair heater using the “firemans switch”. That basically trips a safety and tells the heater to shutdown. When the Aqualink wants heat it connects the firemans switch and the heater powers up and runs. That is the normal cycle for heaters controlled by the firemans switch.

The controller controls the heater mearly by opening or closing a switch. Closes to fire the heater and opens to shut down. The switch is put inline (series), actually the switch resides in the controller and two wires run to the heater where it connects to the safety circuit. Where in the safety circuit is up to the installer. The manufacturer usually designates specific location to make the connection, but i have seen it connected in several different locations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.