AquaChek Test Strip Sanity Check

Jul 7, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
About to install a SWCG. I’ve been using 10% chlorine and muriatic acid exclusively since discovering TFP last year. I just tested the water to see where my salt levels are, and the peak of the yellow is 6.6 which translates to 3770 ppm.

Does this sound possible?

FC 6
CC 0
Ph 7.4
TA 80
CSI 0.01
CH 450 (I know, I know, I need to bring this down to ~350 before using the SWCG)
CYA 40 (and I need to bring this up to 80)

Yes, it is possible.

What SWG will you be installing?

Install it, turn it on, and see what the SWG says.

Get the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test for best test accuracy.

CH 450 is fine for AZ. Folks start draining when it gets to 800 and above.

CH 450 (I know, I know, I need to bring this down to ~350 before using the SWCG)
CYA 40 (and I need to bring this up to 80)
Not really, in either case.

You can manage your CH up there but keep in mind that your fill water in AZ is already likely high in CH so it will continue to go up. Best way to manage it is to keep your pH in the mid 7's and drop your TA to around 50-60 (What is TA, pH and CH of your fill water?)

Your pool will do better with a higher CYA but I would suggest bringing it to 60 first, If you are getting low chlorine consumption (2-3 ppm daily) leave it alone. If your FC is being consumed faster than that, then take CYA to 80 but no higher.

My FC consumption is in the 2-3 range in the summer so I’ll raise CYA to just 60 and see what happens.

You’re right, we have high fill water, I tested it once but don’t remember what it was. I’ll test again this weekend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.