aquaBRIGHT Finish

Yes they can but there is a LOT of extra work to keep them "safe" from the flame so the price might not make it worth it. It would be worth asking about as you never know.

LOL Caco! I so hear you!!!! FLAME on!!!!

Kim:kim:

Brian, So you are saying you can do different colors at the same time...........so how small could one color be? What I am thinking is a stripe in place of the tile kind of thing. How do you keep them from "running" into each other or blending?

Can you tell I am fascinated with this process??

Kim:kim:

Yep. You can also use multiple AquaBright colors to make anything you want. I almost feel that is a better option since you won't have any exposed grout or plaster in the pool.

View attachment 57164

Do you have more pictures of the glass tile marker pool ? We are looking to do a similar treatment

We were told that our existing mosaics could be saved ...

The turtle and other mosaics were done with AquaBright. The marker trim is glass tile.

Kim, the marker tile can easily be done with AquaBright in any color similar to how the stencils are done. I would actually prefer to do it this way over tile.

IMG_20161126_114155649.jpg

IMG_20161126_130600383_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161128_171011233.jpg

IMG_20161105_094140269.jpg

We did a dolphin in a kiddie wading pool and the little kids think it is really neat. You can do as many colors in a stencil as you want. The biggest drawback is having to clean out the powder from the hopper and feed line into the application gun.

I've done some more research, I've spoken to the 2 current aquabright installers and the 2 previous in the Dallas area. Both previous installers left the business due to losses that mounted from product /installation issues. The rework was too much for them, and in at least one case the installer didn't get expected support from the vendor . It may be that the prep work wasnt adequate but you would think that the original dealers had opportunities to address that if that was the only issue . Aquabright is owned by a pool company in PA.

I've not decided which way to go yet ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't disagree with what you wrote above. The company hangs its hat on its support but I yet to be impressed with what I've received.

I wouldn't base your decision on whether or not to go with the surface based off of the installers perspective. As a consumer, you need to look at the end result and long-term benefits vs the cost. I too have losses that will take years to recoup - if ever.

The ideal pool for this coating is a remodel where the plaster is in good shape. The trouble with this is that most people wait until their pool is crumbling and falling apart until they decide to do anything about it. Now the plaster needs to be chipped and replaced prior to receiving the coating all at an expense well above just about anything else... That's a pretty hard sell.

For a new construction pool, the interior finish is usually the absolute last portion of the build, often when money begins to get thin from all the previous upgrades that were added along the way. I've had 4 new construction pools that were going to go with AB that all fell through due to lack of funds at the end of the build.

As the consumer if you want a durable, smooth, uniform and long lasting finish, then this is it. You just need to determine if the expense is going to be worth it in the long run.

Now if you were looking into becoming an installer, I would pay very close attention to what the other installers have said...

Thanks for the feedback. Did they give any details about what the issues were?

As bdavis466 said its about the condition of the surface. The disturbing part is that apparently the manufacturer wasnt helpful in coming up with a process that works for Texas ... And wasnt helpful in offsetting the labor lost and equipment loss due to these failures... One installer said the heat of the flame changes the plaster/ epoxy bond and if there is any water in the plaster or in bubbles in the plaster it causes issues.

Im still on the fence - the Aquabright job was quoted to me at approx 3x the cost of a regular plaster job. And 3k higher than the high end Primera Stone polished finish. Plus almost 6k to retile.
Im considering just going with a basic quartz and saving 6-8 grand...

Well after talking to many more people with many more opinions Im back to reconsidering Aquabright.

Its the ONLY product with a warranty more than one year. ( I didnt look at pebble )
And its not that much different in price than other options. Our pool is just expensive due to the amount of tile etc ...

Really? Only one year on plaster? My plaster applicator gave us a 10 year warranty against cracks, etc (not color fading). I used the warranty once to get a crack fixed and they pushed me off for 7 months but I kind of expected that as warranty work is a money loser for any contractor.

But I do like the aquaBright coating and they do have an impressive warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive made a decision and put down 50% ... Should see progress start Next week

Ive mounted a motion sensitive "project cam" on the roof. Ill use the images from that to tease the decision as it becomes clearer ...

Thanks to everyone here for the feedback and input

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.