Aqua Rite-turns off after few seconds of generating

Jana616

Jul 21, 2019
Indiana
Hi all, first time posting. We have a Hayward AquaRite SWG. The cell was replaced two years ago, and we have no idea how old any of the other parts are (we bought the house 3 years ago, it was not well cared for).

I realized yesterday that all of the lights on the display board are off, and it’s not running at all. If I push the diagnostics button, the “power” light comes on, followed by a flashing “no flow” light, and then that turns off and a solid “generating” light comes on. However, after about 5-10 seconds, the whole thing turns off again.

Any ideas on how to figure out what the problem is? If there’s a certain part that I need, any recommendations or links to them would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Well, I was super excited because I ran out there last night and it looked like it was working! We cleaned the cell yesterday (it had been telling us to), and I thought maybe that was enough to fix whatever caused it to keep shutting off. But lo and behold, it had turned back off by this morning.

These are our numbers (taken after it’s been sitting off for unknown amount of time):

30P
AL-0
R1.40

It did turn back on when I hit the diagnostic button and is still on right now, but I assume it will turn off again at some point. One of the display lights also seeks to have burnt out (the bottom part of one of the numbers when displayed). Any ideas very much appreciated!

How old is your controller? Can you find a serial number label? It maybe time for a new PCB board. What you describe sounds like the contacts on the diag button are shorting out, and if the display is not showing completely sounds like some other issues in the circuitry .. hard to say without playing with it.

I’m not sure if this is the serial number, but the only thing on there that could remotely be it is “5A0504-1030620.”

I don’t know how old it is, we bought the house 3 years ago as a foreclosure and have no info on that kind of stuff, unfortunately.

According to this document your controller was manufactured in April of 2005.. it had a 5 year warranty that ran out 9 years ago;)
Reading Hayward Serial Numbers

Not sure how adventurous you are DIY fixing stuff but you found this place.. I would start by popping off the panel and inspecting the board and circuitry.. As my Daddy used to say, "If its already broken, I won't make it worse trying to fix it".. I should add that to my signature

It was made in April 2005. I would suspect that maybe the display board is not making good contact or might need to be replaced.

The diagnostic readings look good.

Note that the setting is 30 percent. Version 1.4 has a 120 min cycle. That means 36 minutes generating and 84 minutes not generating. The power and generating lights should be on whenever the switch is in the auto position even when not actually generating.

Reactions: Woodgee and Jana616
Thank you both! It hasn’t been sitting, we’ve been using it the past three summers without issue (other than replacing the cell two years ago). Watching the video James posted, we could definitely replace the display board ourselves. It looks like there is an after market one available, any reason not to get that and save a little?

Also, do you think it’s likely the display board and not the main PCB? Thank you both again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would remove the board and inspect it for damage. If nothing obvious, reinstall it and see if that helps.

The long pins that connect to the display board sometimes get oxidation and the connection between the pins and the display board is weak.

Reinstalling the board can reestablish the connection.

If that doesn't work, I would replace the display board.

In my opinion, the original equipment is better.

Reactions: Jana616
Well, we went out and took it apart to inspect it and clean it off. Since I reset it this morning after finding it back off, it had stayed on for about three and a half hours. We put it back together and now it won’t come back on at all-no lights or anything. I’m giving it a little bit of time and hoping maybe it comes on like it did last night. It looked fine inside, no oxidation or anything out of the ordinary.

We went back out to check the pins and they are in the 7 holes with metal in them, so I think it’s right. This time when we turned the power back on, it flashed the salt level for a sec then went off. We banged a little on the box and it came back on, went off, we turned power back off and on yet again, and finally lights came back on again and looks normal for the moment. We feel like it’s a connectivity issue, right? Based on all that, replace the display board as discussed above?

Attachments

• 6F2DBE6E-CEA4-407B-BBD3-5A853F4D9C94.jpeg
    6F2DBE6E-CEA4-407B-BBD3-5A853F4D9C94.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 655410FC-7E97-4522-9EB0-8065688D2BBF.jpeg
    655410FC-7E97-4522-9EB0-8065688D2BBF.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 33
  • C78C7091-96EF-4FD8-9662-9AF1C15BC5A4.jpeg
    C78C7091-96EF-4FD8-9662-9AF1C15BC5A4.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 34
Ok, hopefully that will work for you. The box is pretty old, so you might have other issues with the main board.

The black double wire on the top right looks like it might be overheating.

Hopefully, the display board will get you back in business.

Reactions: Jana616
New wrinkle...so it has appeared to be working since we did all that yesterday. Tonight I went out and the display screen is on (showing 3100 salt level), but we have no lights on the right side at all, like power and generating. Is there a way to tell if it is working and making chlorine even though those are off? All of those are dark. Our new display board arrives tomorrow but I was going to have my husband install it Thursday night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.