Aqua Logic Timer - Super Chlorinator Setting

wedward

Silver Supporter
Oct 20, 2018
McKinney, TX
Just moved into our house in early Oct, and I'm finally starting to learn how to work the automation and system using the remote and the main panel. One setting that confuses (or worries) me is the Super Chlorinator in the Timer menu. I've read the automation controller manual from Hayward on this setting, but it did not explain much.

The setting is on 24, which per the manual is 24 hours of super chlorinator running. Does this mean it will run in super mode for 24 hours, only when I manually turn on/engage the Super Cholorinator? It does not make sense otherwise, since the manual references the range of 1-96 hours. Just want to be sure the SWG does not automatically kick off the super chlor mode.

I've read here to basically never use this anyways, but only after running it 2-3 times early on to try and kill the algae. I've since then done a shock (almost SLAM) using powder (and now liquid) and cleaned off the muck BTW.

Thanks for the help

W,

We NEVER recommend using the super chlorinate mode for any SWCG. If you need a quick boost in FC, just use Liquid Chlorine. Using the super chlorinate mode, just uses the cell up quicker.

Cells are designed to maintain the chlorine level. When you have algae, the cell, will never be able to produce enough chlorine to kill it all.

Unless you did a real SLAM, SLAM Process I suspect your algae is still there, you just can't see it.

Your SWCG will not work in the winter anyway... When the water temp gets below about 52 degrees the cell will shut off.

On most automation systems the cell will only go into the super chlorinate mode if done manually. I have never heard of one that did it automatically.

Thanks,

Jim R.

W,

The SWCG works, or not, based upon water temperature... So, as long as you keep the water temp above 52 degrees (or so) the SWCG will keep producing.

I see no reason to heat a pool if you can't swim in it.. :confused:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm heating it only because I'm paranoid of freezing... But we also want to use the spa, but maybe the cost of heating that in spa mode is less overall going from 50-100 than keeping the pool at 65 and going to 100 from there when needed. Thanks for the replies

A pool heater is not designed to maintain a low water temperature. It will destroy the heat exchanger. Use your heater to heat the spa to temperature. Do not attempt to maintain your pool at 65F.

From your Raypak heater manual.

temperatures below 50°F is not recommended.
When starting the heater with water temperatures
below 50°F, operate the heater continuously until
higher temperatures are reached. Operating the
heater for prolonged periods with pool water below
50°F can seriously damage the heater, and is not cov-
ered by the warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.