Rockville, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
I have an old Apollo VA-52 DE filter with a Val-Pak brass Pull/Pull backwash assembly. It looks like this one: V34-168 – Val-Pak 2″ Anthony Brass Selector Valve – Threaded, Complete – Val-Pak Products, although my system is 1.5".

It is showing its age and has very minor drip leaks in a few spots, however they appear to be in repairable areas.

One drip is right at the T handle, the other is in the connector to the drain:IMG_3724.jpgIMG_3655.jpg
It looks like they used a threaded male adapter in the PVC to screw into the brass, at the red arrow. I don't know why it's taped between the red and white arrows, it's from before my time. The drip is around the white arrow - is that fitting threaded too?

What are my options here? I am planning on replumbing the filter system to install a new pump and streamline some elbows that aren't necessary. Now would be a logical time to repair potential issues in this fitting as well.

Questions:
  1. Is the fitting shown above (noted with the arrows) threaded? Can I just unscrew it, at either the red or the white arrow, from the existing PVC? The tape wrapping pre-dates me, no idea why it's there. I'd like to remove it at the white arrow and replace the fitting to hopefully stop the drop.
  2. What is the appropriate fitting to connect brass to PVC - threaded PVC to the threaded brass with teflon? I notice they used rubber Fernco-style couplings between the assembly and the filter itself. I am aware that connecting unlike materials directly is problematic due to differences in the rate they expand/contract and so on.IMG_3725.jpgIMG_3726.jpg
  3. I believe this fitting (between pump and backwash assembly) is also threaded on one side and a slip assembly on the PVC side? Does that seem correct? IMG_3722.jpg
  4. The filter currently sits on the ground, but I'm planning on building a platform to raise it up about 12 inches so I can eliminate an elbow as well as leave room for a future SWG. Any considerations I should be aware of there?
  5. What do I do when I start to run out of room for couplings? Like this: IMG_3679.jpg

Thanks for any advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.