AO Smith Motor Replacement

Emarshbuck

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2013
Hilton Head, SC
Well, my pool pump motor just blew up, literally! Sparks, black smoke, etc....

It is currently a 1HP Century attached to a Hayward Super Pump wet end....

My pool is a kidney shaped, 12X20, about 3500 gallons, deepest is 5ft. One of my neighbors who was a pool builder years ago thinks that I don't need a 1HP, that a 3/4HP would be sufficient. The pool is rarely used, I run the motor for a couple of hours once/day.....

suggestions?

thx

Attachments

• Century 1HP Pool Motor.JPG
    Century 1HP Pool Motor.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
You can drop down to a 3/4 hp total motor. You would have to replace the impeller with a SPX2605C.

You could even drop down to a 1/2 hp total hp motor with a SPX2600C impeller.

Well, my pool pump motor just blew up, literally! Sparks, black smoke, etc....

It is currently a 1HP Century attached to a Hayward Super Pump wet end....

My pool is a kidney shaped, 12X20, about 3500 gallons, deepest is 5ft. One of my neighbors who was a pool builder years ago thinks that I don't need a 1HP, that a 3/4HP would be sufficient. The pool is rarely used, I run the motor for a couple of hours once/day.....

suggestions?

thx
You can drop down to a 3/4 hp total motor. You would have to replace the impeller with a SPX2605C.

You could even drop down to a 1/2 hp total hp motor with a SPX2600C impeller.

It looks like a 1HP motor is cheaper than 3/4 or 1/2, and I could use the impeller that I currently have.... does that sound right? .I'm ok with 1HP since I don't run it that much and it only costs $.14 an hour since we get electricity from a coop.....

I would suggest a 1 hp total hp motor with a SPX2605C impeller.

The smaller impeller will draw less power.

Unless you need high flow, I would go with the smaller impeller. You can always change back to the original impeller if necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's a SuperPump. I would suggest the 1 hp total motor with a SPX2605C impeller.

You probably have a SPX2607C impeller.

You can disassemble the pump to check which impeller you have and to see if it is in good shape.

If you're happy with the current flow, you can use the current impeller. It's not oversized too much.

That's a SuperPump. I would suggest the 1 hp total motor with a SPX2605C impeller.

You probably have a SPX2607C impeller.

You can disassemble the pump to check which impeller you have and to see if it is in good shape.

If you're happy with the current flow, you can use the current impeller. It's not oversized too much.

Thank you! Pump on order.....will check impeller.....I am happy with the current flow.....this pool is more for "show" than use....thank goodness for TFP.....I would have filled it in 7 years ago after we bought this house.....I like for our family/friends from Ohio being able to take their young kids into it in July/August.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.