Anything im missing for closing pool

Jun 3, 2018
Muncie
Hello all..

Going to be getting the pool prepared for Indiana winter in the next few weeks. I know that I have to balance the chemicals and slam before closing it up. Also I have read the thread for closing on here but wasnt area specific. Here is where i need advice.

1. I've been told of winter pills to throw in before covering and also polyquat along with balancing chemicals.
2. Drain pool with main drain 4 inches below skimmers than blow the lines out with air compressor and plug them with special plugs for those lines. I have 1 return and 2 skimmers.
3. Release drain plugs of cartridge filter and pump and take inside pool shed.

Anything i am missing please let me know. First time closing up so any and all help is appreciated!

Btw...our winters get into negative temps and lots of snow sometimes for those unaware.

The pills are a waste, raise the chlorine to shock levels 2-3 days before closing. Poly quat is an added protection. Wait until the waters below 55. Blow out the lines, plug, then remove all plugs on equipment. Blow out the skimmers as well.

Additional questions..

Do i need to blow out my return and skimmer lines even though i have the black rubber heavy duty plumbing lines?

What is best for plugs? Screw in cap with gasket or rubber gizmo?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes i just vacuumed and 4 inches below the skimmer seemed way too low. Im only going to go about half that at the most

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.