Anyone with experience covering a very long pool? 82 feet

Green Goblin

Gold Supporter
Nov 5, 2012
Tennessee
I am considering buying a house that has a 25m/82ft lap pool already installed.

It's not that I want a lap pool. I just want a pool. In my market, fewer than 200 pool homes change hands each year, even when the market is busy. When you factor in location and pool-- well beggars can't be choosers.

Anyway, a house came up with an 82 foot pool. My guess is that it's 10-12 feet wide-- haven't measured it yet.

Does anyone have experience with covering a pool of this size?

Is it possible to order a custom cover of this length?

The longest solar cover I can find online is 60 feet-- it seems theoretically possible to use two long lengths of cover, say 41 feet each, and put a roller at each end, but boy that seems like a pain.

Thanks to all who provide input.

Very often, people cut their covers into sections since then get too heavy to deal with. So, I would just suggest using 2+ separate covers.

I too was thinking you could put a roller on each end ... or maybe you might be able to attach the 2 pieces together and roll it up on 1 end. But, that might end up more work than you expect or it may just not fit around a roller.

My pool is 25 yards long X 12 feet wide. I looked at custom covers but they were prohibitively expensive and I was afraid they'd be too bulky and heavy to work with if they needed to be cleaned. I ultimately bought the cover in three pieces, and for years just rolled one up, then put the next one rolled over the top of the one underneath. It worked pretty well. Especially because it allowed us to uncover just part of the pool if we wanted to, and move the remaining piece from one end to the other. I LOVE my lap pool! Enjoy!!

Thanks for all of the replies!

LapPoolMike, buying a house without a pool and installing one is possible, and we've been trying for about 3 months to do that, or buy a house with a pool if one comes along.

It's not as easy as it might seem though.

I just moved to Tennessee from Florida. Pools cost roughly twice as much in TN as they do in FL, so the cost is not insignificant. We recently had a deal fall through on a house, and the planned 16x25 relatively basic gunnite pool was going to be about $90k. If you buy a house with an existing pool it gets rolled into your mortgage neat and easy. I know there are ways to work with your bank to get a pool built and then rolled into your mortgage too, but there are some complexities with this too-- if you look at the numbers, in many instances buying an existing pool will save you a significant amount of money.

There is the issue of finding a house in the right area for my job and my kids school, as traffic is pretty nasty, that has an appropriate back or side yard to place a pool. Then you have to consider the historical districts and the smaller municipalities and their pool building regulations. Many houses are built on hills here too, and that too can make a building a pool impractical. Ideally you'd want a reasonable house layout to accompany the pool-- do you want to put a $100k pool outside of a house that has no deck, or covered porch, or reasonably good access from the house to the pool area? Obviously you can add that stuff onto a house too, again just money.

Add to all of this that the real estate market is record-setting hot right now up here, and it's a challenge, but one we are determined to overcome.

So after looking for months, a few days ago a house came on the market, in an appropriate area, that already has a pool, and at a really good price-- it's appealing. My concern is being able to keep such a big outdoor pool warm enough to be practical to use for 9-10 months out of the year without spending more than $4000 a year on heating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.