Anyone w/ automation disable walk up controls on Raypak Heat pump?

Todder

Oct 22, 2019
Ft Lauderdale
Thanks to some great tips from prior posters I was able to DIY Pentair Intelliconnect but can’t disable raypak 8350 digital control panel (those defiant teens and guests can set pool at 90+ when I’m not around).

There are 3 pairs of wires from control panel board to main block labeled WS, DS, PS. I’ve tried disconnecting PS no luck as well as having the jumper in/out of 21,23 but nothing seems to matter? anyone out there with raypak on automation successful with disabling walk up controls?

Attachments

• 160EE609-AFD6-4648-BB8B-E1EA3BCAAA39.jpeg
    160EE609-AFD6-4648-BB8B-E1EA3BCAAA39.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Is your HP connected and controlled by the IntelliCenter? Wouldn’t any temperature change be done on the IntelliCenter controls?

Is this at a vacation home or rental?

Thanks and yes Intelliconnect controls HP but I’ve found if I set at 85 someone could simply walk up and change the heat to 90 via HP controls...if they do this it overrides the Intelliconnect and I can’t reduce remotely. Spoke to Raypak tech support and they say only option is a lockbox, seems weird and I’m tempted to disconnect the DS wires from the walk up control. Im at the house but do have guests stay when I’m on the road for long periods.

Is the HP connected to the IntelliConnect using the "firemans switch" or an RS-485 data line?

HP is a two wire connection from Intelliconnect heater terminals to firemans at the HP block with external temp sensor Btwn pump and filter, was under impression rs485 is for Pentair hardware only (I have rs485 on a IntelliChlor but there are two more spots left open for another green and yellow)

HP is a two wire connection from Intelliconnect heater terminals to firemans at the HP block with external temp sensor Btwn pump and filter, was under impression rs485 is for Pentair hardware only (I have rs485 on a IntelliChlor but there are two more spots left open for another green and yellow)

Looks like Raypak lets you override the Firemans switch.

The digital heat pump pool heater can be easily controlled by most two-wire and three-wire remote systems. The digital display will flash “Remote” to let you know that it is under control of a third party automation system. Simply press the up and down arrows for 5 seconds to release the control from the remote mode and regain local control.

Last edited:
Since the Intelliconnect uses a relay for the heater you only have discrete (on/off) control of it. You're not sending values to the temp control.

Looking at the wiring it appears that you can't just disconnect the control display board without affecting the operation of the heater. Looks like Raypak is correct that the only way to limit access is with a lock box. Bummer!

Since the Intelliconnect uses a relay for the heater you only have discrete (on/off) control of it. You're not sending values to the temp control.

Actually I don’t use either of the two relays for the heater (one is for pump one for lights) there is a two wire heater control terminal on Intelliconnect. I can Set temp at 80 on my phone but if someone walks up and goes for 81+ the Intelliconnect can’t bring it back down.

Very impressed with Intelliconnect great quality affordable unit that lets me manage pump, heater, chlorinator and lights with ease!

actually I don’t use either of the two relays for the heater (one is for pump one for lights) there is a two wire heater control terminal on Intelliconnect.

There are more relays in the IntelliConnect then the two high voltage relays. There is a low voltage relay controlling the fireman’s switch.

I can Set temp at 80 on my phone but if someone walks up and goes for 81+ the Intelliconnect can’t bring it back down.

That person does need to know to hold the up and down arrows down for 5 seconds to disconnect the HP from automation control according to Raypak. Does yours change temperature with a short button push?

There's a dedicated relay (set of contacts) in the intelliconnect that discretely control the heater through it's "Fireman's" (or Remote) switch. The Intelliconnect opens and closes this set of contacts based on the external thermistor and setpoint you enter in the intelliconnect app.

I went and reread the intelliconnect manual and it states to set the Spa temp to 104ºF and then the remote system (Intelliconnect) will control the temp.

To me that says that you have to set the heater thermostat(s) at or above whatever you want the Link2O app to control the temp at. The manual states to set the Spa temp to max and the Link2O app would shut the heater down at it's desired setpoint as long as it's lower than that.

However, as Allen said they could disconnect the heater from the remote system, so locking up the control panel would be the easiest way to control it being adjusted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks again for info Allen and Dave, i will try spa 104 technique (wasn’t mentioned in procedure for two wire remote (see attached) for Raypak 8350, not sure if matters but there is a jumper wire on block from 21 to 23 that Intelliconnect manual said to remove & Raypak techical rep / prod mgr agreed, so I did yet could still override remote via up button. An ugly $60 box from Raypak with padlock is my last resort ? the Iguanas really luv a 90 degree pool to poop in!

Attachments

• AC95F359-1A87-40E0-9027-C410410CC15A.jpeg
    AC95F359-1A87-40E0-9027-C410410CC15A.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 7
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.