Anyone Using a Mesh Winter Cover?

Mesh cover for me. But I don't really have significant snow/ice issues. The only thing that gets through the mesh cover is pollen. When I open there is sometimes a "bathtub ring" of pollen around the pool. I chlorinate until reliably below 60 degrees and start back chlorinating when I hit 60 degrees. Doing this now with Waterguru which gives me daily FC, pH, and temp readings. Current chlorination 0.15ppm each day by chlorine pump. Never a green pool here.

I will give thought to switching to mesh cover with a suspension/lifting scheme underneath. Closing late in cold fall NJ weather helps avoid algae in spring.

Re: suspension: I use heavy duty $10 air mattresses from Walmart, but one or two always deflate :-(. Will consider your PVC tube idea and the PoolTree (DIY) solution (heavy inflatable ball w/ropes). Will report back in winter 2018.

Hey there @ScottAlbi - what would recommend I do for this coming Winter, based on your 2-3 years of experimenting? Mesh cover tight / above the water, with arches or inflatables beneath? We're in Cincinnati so climate is basically the same as NJ, with perhaps fewer big snow falls. Thank you!

I put big floats under the cover so the cover isn't touching the pool and leaves just blow right off the cover. I stretch it tight with 2 floats underneath. When heavy snow is expected I simply take the micromesh cover off and let it snow in the pool. I don't want the weight of the snow pulling the uprights inward. Once the snow is gone I'll put the cover back on. Quite easy

Reactions: Magis00
I don’t have to deal with snow or ice, so I’m not concerned with weight on the cover. The cover came with 2 cylindrical pieces of styrofoam that float on the surface and provide tension to the cover. I’ve had the same cover for 14 years, so we’ve definitely gotten our money’s worth. Leaves haven’t really started to fall yet and cover is already saving me hours of cleanup duty.
1602513750727.jpeg

Reactions: Nectarologist
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.