Anyone tried uploading / downloading firmware from Hayward GLX-PCB-MAIN boards?

eePool

Sep 17, 2017
Florida
Hi everyone, I'm new around here, but so far I can't find an update to my Hayward automation system (Aqua Logic AQL, software Revision 3.00). What software version do you have?

Inside, I have one of these "main" boards.
197632.jpg
Here I noticed that J12 header (located at the top left corner, between wireless antenna connector J9 and Local Display connector J7) is a standard pic programming port (matching pickit well)
PICkit3.jpg
(Pin 1 is located to the left, closer to J9 connector, pin 6 is unused and thus J12 has only 5 pins)

For this, you will need a microchip PicKit 3 programmer, available via official channel for $48 here (link), or Amazon has some knock-offs for less here (link), though why so many of them are more than $48 are beyond me.

The microchip in question is PIC18F2620 and you can interact with it by:
  1. Install a free mplab-x from here (link)
  2. Lunch mplab ipe (integrated programming environment), which was installed along with mplab-x
    • ipe.PNG
  3. Go to Settings > Advanced mode (password is "microchip")
  4. Under Family, choose "Advanced 8-bit (pic18)"
  5. Under Device, choose "PIC18F2620"
    • pic18f.PNG
  6. Make sure that target board is not powered (main circuit breaker is OFF or the board is removed from the assembly), working with a live board is risky
  7. Back in IPE, Under Power tab, Choose 5.0 as VDD voltage and "Power Target Circuit from Tool" option (If you don't see power tab, check step #3)
    • power.jpg
  8. Go back to Operate tab and click Connect
    • The first time you are connecting, IPE may update your programming tool, it is normal
  9. First thing you NEED to do upon successful connection is click "Read" which is located in the middle of all the options
    • read.jpg
  10. After a successful read command, identified by a blue, time-stamped "Read Complete" status line on the output:
  11. Choose File > Export > Hex and SAVE the file somewhere safe (you may want to even email yourself this file). It will allow you to restore everything if all else has failed.

What I hope to accomplish is to get this community involved and allow us to finally update our automation controllers without the need to purchase the whole new Main Board, as seem to be the going suggestion to date (link).

By sharing the firmware, we can use the similar method described above to load more up-to-date firmware (via File > Import > Hex) and Program command instead of Read.

As I've mentioned, I only have access to version 3.0 of the firmware, which I will be happy to share as soon as I had a chance to cooperate with other members on data within EEPROM. I don't want someone loading out of date firmware and potentially breaking their controllers.

Anyone out there with a pickit handy and a more up to date firmware on their device?

Cheers,

eePool

Did a bit more research, and it seems there is an updated "GLX-PCB-PRO" version of the board:
GYGG0nM.jpg

This board also seems to feature the programming port J10 (shown within the Red circle above). I can't tell what is pin 1 from the any pictures I could find, but if you have this board, you can find it using a volt-meter while the board is powered up.
Pin 1 will have 3.3 to 5V (not sure which, not knowing the processor) relative to pin 3 (middle pin).

According to the official PDF (here), the latest version (as of 4 years ago) is 4.45.

Alas, it seems that most of the features I would like to get, via an update, are only available to the newer "Pro" version of the board. The code will not be compatible with a smaller (older) microchip of my board.

That being said, I wouldn't mind trying to develop a custom / homebrew version of the code to improve the user interface and add support a better user interface (I'm constantly disappointed with endless menus and hidden options), for full fledged variable speed pump (better speed display / control), T-CELL 3 / 9 (better re calibration), their new Sense and Dispense tool, as well as support for Aqua Connector (or some sort of other custom wifi remote, perhaps based on raspberry pi).

Keep in mind that I only have a somewhat inaccurate T-CELL 15 (which is reporting salt level at least 200 - 500 ppm lower than store tests even while clean) and an old EcoStar Variable Speed pump (seems they've done some software updates there too), but I would rather spend money on a new sensor (such as their Sense and Dispense package for PH testing / control), rather than a new board.

Oh, and I also have a 3rd party spa heater and a hayward wireless remote for a 16 aux unit (GLX-WW-RF-PS-16), from which I am limited to 4 (so many unused buttons...). I would love to have an option to assign pump speeds / run super chlorinate / or have individual control over all 8 of aux relays, all from buttons I've already paid for.

What would your wish list be for a homebrew code? What features would you like see added?

Cheers,
eePool

P.S. I'm planning on doing this via open source, anyone in a similar position who would willing to help?

Nice find! I've got a couple of GLX-PCB-MAIN boards, but they are both running v2.6x. I'd be interested in trying to update them.

I think some of what you want to accomplish could be done with external automation. @draythomp has done a bunch of work to decode the Goldline protocol. I plan to build a module for Home Assistant to control the controller; just waiting for my RS485-to-Ethernet converter to arrive.

Reactions: doublespaces
I want to add a variable-speed pump but the firmware on my board is too old to support it. So I contacted Hayward; apparently they have a field service tool that can update the boards, but none are available in my location.

Good news is the technique described above works great. A friend of mine has a board that was running v2.91; I was able to use the Pickit to download the firmware from his board, and upload it to mine.

Thanks eePOOL, the info was really useful. I have been trying to get info from Hayward on firmware revisions as I ad a GLX-PCB-PRO running v4.10 firmware. I wanted to use the AQUA-CONNECT and v4.2 was the minimum firmware that works with the AQUA-CONNECT. I purchased a new PCB and I started to look around for firmware updates to see if I could at least use my old board as a spare. I came across your blog. You get an A+ for detail. It was so good it motivated me to DIY. The first issue I encountered was the microchip is different on the GLX-PCB-PRO and identification marking on the chip is so feint as to be almost invisible. With the aid of a powerful magnifying glass and a powerful light I ascertained that the chip on the GLX-PCB-PRO is a PIC18F4685. If there is anyone interested in updating the GLX-PCB-PRO then following eePool’s instructions will work if you select the PIC18F4685 chip type. The chip also uses vdd of 5.0v. This is present on pin1 which is the lowest pin. Instead of consigning my v4.10 firmware board to scrap I was able to update it to v4.46 by cloning from my new board.

Has anyone had any luck decoding the hex code with a view to personalizing the control functions?

Reactions: sph01443
I went ahead and purchased a knock off version of the pickit3 from Amazon. I had the local hayward tech come out this past week and he upgraded my firmware from 4.20 to 4.46 on my main board to get better funcions/options out of my Tristar 950 VSP.

I had picked up a spare prologic controller locally to have and extra dispaly/board/parts in case anything goes out on my system. The board had main software of 4.30. I went ahead and copied the 4.46 firmware from my main board and flashed the firmware to the spare board. Happy I can just swap boards now if ever needed. Thanks for the instructions posted above.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With the great instructions from eePool, I was able to update my firmware from 2.61 to 2.85 and am now successfully controlling a Hayward Ecostar VSP. Thanks eePool!

I have hex copies of both versions - PM me if you are looking...
TexasBrian, I was wondering... Other than the ability to control the variable speed pump, were there any other useful enhancements in the upgraded firmware? By any chance, were the salt readings any more accurate after upgrading?

Hi everyone, I'm new around here, but so far I can't find an update to my Hayward automation system (Aqua Logic AQL, software Revision 3.00). What software version do you have?

Inside, I have one of these "main" boards.

View attachment 69436
Here I noticed that J12 header (located at the top left corner, between wireless antenna connector J9 and Local Display connector J7) is a standard pic programming port (matching pickit well)
View attachment 69437
(Pin 1 is located to the left, closer to J9 connector, pin 6 is unused and thus J12 has only 5 pins)

For this, you will need a microchip PicKit 3 programmer, available via official channel for $48 here (link), or Amazon has some knock-offs for less here (link), though why so many of them are more than $48 are beyond me.

The microchip in question is PIC18F2620 and you can interact with it by:
  1. Install a free mplab-x from here (link)
  2. Lunch mplab ipe (integrated programming environment), which was installed along with mplab-x
  3. Go to Settings > Advanced mode (password is "microchip")
  4. Under Family, choose "Advanced 8-bit (pic18)"
  5. Under Device, choose "PIC18F2620"
  6. Make sure that target board is not powered (main circuit breaker is OFF or the board is removed from the assembly), working with a live board is risky
  7. Back in IPE, Under Power tab, Choose 5.0 as VDD voltage and "Power Target Circuit from Tool" option (If you don't see power tab, check step #3)
  8. Go back to Operate tab and click Connect
    • The first time you are connecting, IPE may update your programming tool, it is normal
  9. First thing you NEED to do upon successful connection is click "Read" which is located in the middle of all the options
  10. After a successful read command, identified by a blue, time-stamped "Read Complete" status line on the output:
  11. Choose File > Export > Hex and SAVE the file somewhere safe (you may want to even email yourself this file). It will allow you to restore everything if all else has failed.

What I hope to accomplish is to get this community involved and allow us to finally update our automation controllers without the need to purchase the whole new Main Board, as seem to be the going suggestion to date (link).

By sharing the firmware, we can use the similar method described above to load more up-to-date firmware (via File > Import > Hex) and Program command instead of Read.

As I've mentioned, I only have access to version 3.0 of the firmware, which I will be happy to share as soon as I had a chance to cooperate with other members on data within EEPROM. I don't want someone loading out of date firmware and potentially breaking their controllers.

Anyone out there with a pickit handy and a more up to date firmware on their device?

Cheers,

eePool

I have this board with Firmware version 2.42. What is the latest firmware I can load on it and where would I find i? Thanks

I went ahead and purchased a knock off version of the pickit3 from Amazon. I had the local hayward tech come out this past week and he upgraded my firmware from 4.20 to 4.46 on my main board to get better funcions/options out of my Tristar 950 VSP.

I had picked up a spare prologic controller locally to have and extra dispaly/board/parts in case anything goes out on my system. The board had main software of 4.30. I went ahead and copied the 4.46 firmware from my main board and flashed the firmware to the spare board. Happy I can just swap boards now if ever needed. Thanks for the instructions posted above.

@parkee99 Would you be willing to share your 4.46 firmware. I'm looking to upgrade from 4.20 in order to get my VSP pumps working

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.