Anyone purchased refillable chlorine? Container choice?

Cody

Bronze Supporter
Aug 17, 2014
Prosper, TX
I posted on "Where to Buy Liquid Chlorine" as well...

Bought a 2.5 gallon jug at Pinch a Penny Pool Supply in McKinney, TX yesterday.....it was about $16. Refills normally $7.88. They say when they have their tank filled, it's at 15%. It was filled last Friday. They advertise this stuff to be 10.5%, but they think it's actually more like 12.5%.

The issue is that the container is very hard to pour from without splashing or spilling. Not sure if they will refill any other container (I'm guessing no)...if they WILL, could I use a 2 or 5 gallon gasoline jug? Would that be okay to haul chlorine in?

Don't use containers marked for gasoline to store/transport anything else.

Here's a possible way to modify your chlorine jug container lids:

And with a little ingenuity you can rig up a relief tube vent.

Don't use containers marked for gasoline to store/transport anything else.

Here's a possible way to modify your chlorine jug container lids:

And with a little ingenuity you can rig up a relief tube vent.
Any ideas for an acceptable chlorine jug?

The one you have. Just pick up an extra lid and modify it as shown in the link I posted. Ask for an extra lid at Pinch-a-Penny. The jug you have is properly marked indicating it has chlorine in it.

I’ve never used this site, but have something a lot like this from another company.

Purchase this one at wal mart.

Chemical company I buy bleach from approved it for chlorine use.

It comes with a spigot.

Attachments

• 7E29D2B9-9B6A-4F95-AB0F-05294FA83297.png
    7E29D2B9-9B6A-4F95-AB0F-05294FA83297.png
    150.1 KB · Views: 58
Having a spigot and a vent is a plus.

Whatever you wind up using, be sure to label it as to its contents. You don't want anyone assuming it is something it is not.

I bought 4 of the containers from Leslies. They work fine and transport with no issues. Been using them almost 4 years and I think they were either $4.95 or $5.95. They just have a big cap and I find pouring 1/2 gal increments very easy with the measurement marks on the outside of the container.

I wish we had the option to refill carboys here. All I can get is four 1 gallon jugs of 12.5% in a tote.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’ve never used this site, but have something a lot like this from another company.
I have the lids and spigots from the link above. I use them on the carboys I get. They work great the jugs have a vent.

I use the 7 gal blue potable water jugs designed for camping. Had a pair since I built the pool. Replaced the spouts once. (Reliance Products Aqua-Tainer 7 Gallon Rigid Water Container - AMAZON)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.