Anyone make a sun sail out of lycra?

Sep 4, 2015
Charlotte,NC
I had purchased some large triangle sun sails and after trying smaller mounting points it became obvious that when you start researching it you either need 6x6 or 4" schedule 40 galvinized pipe and lots of concrete. I was looking for something that was semi portable and we went to the beach and saw these lightweight lycra tents. I found some thing on instructables and this would work with lighterwieght poles just cant find material larger than 60"

This looks like it could work if i could find a place to get say 12-15' wide material. What has others used for their sun shades i dont need it to be permanant with 6x6 lumber.

The problem with the lighter weight and/or cheaper sails is that you can't tension them. So they'll flap around in the wind, and come apart in a strong storm, and depending on the material could collect rain water and fill up. Longevity is another factor. I have the best sail I could find and have it cranked down, using 4x4s and pier blocks, no digging. But... I get around the rigidity problem using guy wires. Like a sailboat mast does. Like this:

shade sail 6.jpg

The wires are near-invisible to me. Depends on the backdrop, I suppose. I can show you a front-on pic where you can't see them. I hid the other set in a tree. If you want more info about how this is done, ask away...

I just followed your link. Yah, uh, no. They're using what amounts to nylon twine. Doesn't matter how they shape the thing, much more than a light breeze and it's over. You'd have to take that down each day. I'm talking 1/4" stainless steel cables and heavy duty SS turnbuckles and eyes. Permanent. Storm proof. (Though I do take it down off-season to help it last longer. It goes up and down pretty easily.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.