Anyone know what this is?

ccp79

Sep 13, 2016
Tucson, AZ
I removed my old (ancient) pump last weekend and replaced it with an intelliflo. One part of the plumbing removed was this inline gadget. Inside of it appear to be magnets (with some attached metal shavings). Is that what it is? Is it worth putting back in?

Attachments

• IMG_3282.JPG
    IMG_3282.JPG
    411.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3283.JPG
    IMG_3283.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 18
Are the magnets on the inside or outside? Is this active or passive (Is there wiring going to it? It doesn’t look like it.) There are some products out there that remove metal particles from water to help reduce the hardness of water. I am not sure of the effectiveness of them though. Is your fill water hard? It is probably not needed.

The magnets are on the inside. No apparent wiring. While our water is hard in terms of Calcium (60 ppm out the tap) I don't believe we have a particulate or dissolved iron problem (which magnets wouldn't help with anyway). I'm inclined to agree with James that it is a gimmick.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.