Anyone know a concrete guy? ;^)

dbetterton

Apr 21, 2024
Northern Maryland
IMG_3399.JPG

So the fiberglass shell was set on December 13th. And here we are over 4 months later. There was a two month delay for a missed (not even failed, just not called in) inspection which required the coping, the concrete surround and the waterfall wall be torn out and redone. :eek:

And now after going through that delay, I'm now going on 3 weeks while the pool company and the concrete deck guy bicker about who will do the last bit of grading (literally a few scrapes with a skidsteer) needed before forming for the deck.

So my backyard alternates between hard-pack rutted dirt and a giant mud pit while I wait to be able to bring in my landscaper for final grading and grass. UGH!!!!

But the pool is running! Of course it's also COLD. :(

Nice! Where are you in MD? 2 of my subs fought over who was supposed to do the grading as well. I ended up doing most of it myself to the tune of $3000. I sued the builder for it but they managed to evade the process server.

Will rebar or wire mesh be placed in the concrete deck to form the perimiter bonding of the pool area?

Reactions: dbetterton
Will rebar or wire mesh be placed in the concrete deck to form the perimiter bonding of the pool area?
It was the bonding inspection that was missed. Putting aside the inspection we "failed", we will end up with three bonding inspections. The first was for the rebar in the concrete "curb" that rings the fiberglass shells. That confirmed rebar is tied to shell at anchor points and that copper tails are left exposed. Second inspection was before upper paver patio to confirm copper grid was laid and tied into tails. The last inspection will be after concrete forming and rebar to confirm that copper grid is tied into the rebar and tails.

Edit to add that normally you would only need two for a fiberglass with the coping bricks - one after forming for the coping "curb" and then the final when the surrounding deck is formed (or prepped with base and grid if stone, etc.). We needed the extra one so that the upper paver patio could be laid before the main concrete deck.

Fun times becoming county inspection expert.

Last edited:
Concrete deck is formed and bonded - inspection on Monday. But the concrete guy wants to come back out "beginning of next week" to verify the square footage. He doesn't trust his guys apparently. I'm good with verifying so we don't end up short (and I don't want to pay for a bunch of concrete they will need to dump).

But man, more delays.

• Wow
Reactions: kimkats
The day his guys laid out the forms with us, one of the guys measured and came up with 875. The next day, after digging a bunch of hardpack all day, the other guy measured and got 1,024. WTF?

When owner gave me that amount, I went out and re-measured along with the crew. We came up with 869.

My wife came out later and did some higher math and came up with 840.

I'm confident at the 875 that we will have enough. But I understand the owner wanting to make sure - because too little would REALLY suck.

Reactions: kimkats