Anyone in the Northeast open yet?

Finally did the deed this week
6d4a626149dcd57fff747b0729dcfc00.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in south jersey. Is the rule of thumb to wait until the water temp hits 60? This is my first year opening an inground pool. I was going to wait until closer to Memorial Day so save electric/chemicals but you all have me thinking otherwise.

The rule of thumb is open BEFORE the water reaches 60 degrees. Cheaper to open to clear water vs having to battle algae. Chen costs when the water is still cold are minimal .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am in south jersey. Is the rule of thumb to wait until the water temp hits 60? This is my first year opening an inground pool. I was going to wait until closer to Memorial Day so save electric/chemicals but you all have me thinking otherwise.

I opened to a pretty clear pool in South Jersey this week. Saved me some work in the long run opening earlier

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks we love it too it really changes color with the ambient lite. I do have borates in the water they say that adds extra TFP sparkle. Fired up the heater today thinking we might get a swim this weekend. Supposed to be pretty warm here the next couple days.

Pittsburgh, PA - Pool opened this week. Water was in the high 50s, but the deep end was starting to get cloudy. A two day SLAM and it's clear.

Heater is on, expecting to swim this weekend. Pool warmed five degrees on its own with the sun over the last week, I'll let the heater do the rest.

Here in Metro Detroit began opening pool yesterday. Water was green and a lot of crud on the bottom due to filter housing crack last summer and limped thru the end of season and 3 week long vacation. In less than one day the water is "clear"/no longer green but slightly cloudy after 2 jugs of 10% bleach. Now working on cleaning out the crud and bringing the water level back up. I'll put the cover back on to collect the falling flower buds. I took the solid cover off because it fills with water whenever it rains and if I don't get to it right away, the birds use it for their Roman Bath. :grrrr::whip: If I put on the solar cover they will poop all over that. :brickwall:

Opened the pool this week. I'm in Ottawa, Canada. Does that count? I opened a couple of weeks earlier than normal because my pool had turned into a bit of an algae farm. Anyway, shocked and cleaned it over the week. Waiting for the chlorine to return to normal levels and then I will balance it. Haven't turned the heater on and no one has been brave enough to go in yet :)

Philadelphia Suburbs. Opened 4/9 and water was 58. Water has been slowly climbing and today is at 67. I am nearing the point where I will turn on our heater for our spa which is 800 gallons. Water is too cold to heat the entire pool.

Last weekend my water dropped from the low mid 70s to 59, brrrr! I fired up the heater this morning with temp now around 75 with a target of 84. Hope to take the first plunge tonight :)

Pool open 3 days ago, a little cleaning and it's sparkly. Temp was 58. Heated to get SWG working. Was going to use this weekend but forecast calls for rain next 4 days and 80deg on Sunday then cold front moves in and low 60s for most of week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.