Anyone have plans for a deck extension over pool rail

Raekelali

Apr 18, 2021
New York
Split from Deck extension over pool rail
Any pictures or plans on this style of deck for a new build? We definitely want the deck extended over the pool rail but don’t want it 6 or 8 inches higher than the pool due to the steps in the pool. It would raise the deck so high that the first step into the pool would be too deep.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the linked post there are a couple options- i wanted to do something like this but opted against it as it would make winter covering impractical (my deck only goes 1/2 way around).
As well as the trouble of disassembly in the event of a liner change out.
If u are having someone build the deck for you I suggest showing them those pics so they understand what you want. I can’t imagine you would be able to have much less than 4” above the pool rail after whatever brackets/supports + decking is installed. If you just allow the deck boards to overhang the rail with no support they will curl.
Some people have also been able to modify their steps so the distance between the top step & the deck isn’t so awkward. YMMV.

This is how I did mine. The overhang is about 1" above the rails. The deck itself is also only sitting on the framing rails. I intended to bolt it to the rails, but never got there. If I need to, I can slide the deck back away from the pool to do a liner change. A while back I did the same deck style for a customer. We went 3/4 of the way around the pook with the sections like mine. each section is bolted together and bolted to the frame rails. When they needed the liner replaced, the installer simply unbolted each section and slid them back to access the top rail. When done, he slid them back and bolted them back together.

Nv532Km.jpg

vAmxwte.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Why exactly do you want it above the pool railing? We debated when we built our deck but it was going to mean too many headaches when it came to changing out the liner. Level with the rail worked very well for us so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0559 2.jpg
    IMG_0559 2.jpg
    835.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    707.4 KB · Views: 41
I can't speak for the OP but, when I built mine, I looked at some of the decks that friends had that were under the rail and did not like what I saw in some of them. Mostly the problem I saw was how bad the top rail looked after a couple of years of people standing and stepping on them. One friend also commented on how his wife had broken a toe when she stubbed it on the "step" while getting into the pool

Just adding another perspective here -- our deck doesn't go over or under the rail, but is level with the rail and almost butts up to it (see photos). Skimmer is accessible through a trap door in the deck. We do try to discourage people (and pets!) from stepping directly on the rails. Also please excuse the dirt on the bottom, this pool isn't officially open yet.

pool-deck2.jpgpool-deck-rail-joint.jpg

pool-trapdoor-open.jpg
pool-trapdoor-closed.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.