Anyone have an opinion about Acid Magic?

Bwdonohues58

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 22, 2019
Homer, AK
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have recently switched from dry acid to muriatic acid for PH control in my pool. A person who has maintained the "High School Pool" here in my town (Homer, AK) told me that the Borough School District changed from MA to Acid Magic several years ago. I looked it up and it seems that the price of AM is at least double, or triple for what I pay for MA in my area. I have an indoor pool but just mix up the MA in a 5-gallon bucket with water outside and bring it in to mix with the pool water. Works great. Maybe the Gov-Mint thinks that MA is "dangerous?" Or is MA really better? Any thoughts?

There has been a thread or two on Acid Magic. Not better than MA.

Why do you mix up the MA in a bucket? That just increases the risk of spillage or other issues. Just pour the MA directly in the pool at a return with the pump running.

Make sure you pour MA in a thin stream into a running return, this helps dilute and disperse the chemical into your pool quickly. Then I always brush the area well just so I know there isn't any MA sitting at the bottom of the pool on my surface.

Maddie

From Acid - Further Reading

Acid Magic
Acid Magic is basically muriatic acid (unknown strength) that is buffered using proprietary phosphate containing buffers that can, but don't necessarily, breakdown into phosphates. It may also contain a cationic surfactant in it that suppresses fumes.

Acid Magic claims to have:
  • 90% Less fumes
  • Little to no corrosion caused by fumes
  • Can't burn intact skin
Why would anyone pay $13/gal (3 times the price if regular strength MA) for something that is hardly any more safe to use???

Muriatic acid is not as dangerous as everyone thinks it is. A bottle of bleach can be way more dangerous than muriatic acid.

Muratic Acid is in dire need of a rebranding and marketing department to make it less scary. They could call it Pool Water Conditioner. Adjusts your water's pH to protect your equipment, reduce scaling, and enhance your overall swim experience.

But wait, there's more. It can even be used to clean tile to remove caked on build up and clean those SWCG's.

Add new cooler packaging and they could easily charge double :)

My pool builder used Acid Magic when they started my pool and I continued to use it for a few months. I thought it was great as I was adding quite a bit since my fill water has very high TA. I was still having my water tested at the pool store (to satisfy the builder) and my phosphates kept going up. I know we typically do not really care about phosphates, but it got really high, somewhere over 50,000ppb if I remember correctly. Anyways, after doing some research as to where my phosphates were coming from, I found that one of the chemicals in Acid Magic that make it Magic causes phosphates in pool water (I do not remember the chemistry behind it). Anyways, that was the last time I used Acid Magic.

Wait..... I thought all MA was magic??? It magically removed an oil stain on my driveway. It magically sanded my garage floor in preparation for epoxy. It magically cleaned my stone walkway. It magically removed a spot on my concrete that looked like it was uncured. Oh, and it helps control PH and TA in my pool. I love it.

Reactions: borjis
From Wikipedia.
Magic acid (FSO3H·SbF5) is a superacid consisting of a mixture, most commonly in a 1:1 molar ratio, of fluorosulfuric acid (HSO3F) and antimony pentafluoride (SbF5).
Chemical formula: HSbF6SO3
Molar mass: 316.82 g/mol

It's definitely not Muriatic Acid, but it's definitely more expensive.

BTW, I mix the MA in a bucket with water outside the building so that I don't have to open the gallon jug inside. Lots of fumes are given off. Once it's mixed up with the 3 gallons of water, I just dump it around the perimeter of the pool with the pump running. Seems to work OK.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.