Anyone Have a Winter Pool Dome - Ameridome or Others?

Update on what swamphubby teases is the "Dome of Doom"

So, the race against the leaves is on and I predict I'm gonna lose ;)

The mfg is a bit behind schedule so the dome won't be shipping until next Thursday or Friday, ergo, no way to install it before Nov. 6.

I am still swimming (physio) at this point, and intend to keep trying, but I am also making a healthy tannin-tea on top of the cover where bits of warm water meet the leaves through the net. It ain't pretty, but the pool beneath is warm and clean...I'm using my handheld max blaster to do so each morning as part of my in-water routine.

image.jpg

Hubby has built a nice little plywood box with thermax 2-sided foiled foam lining inside to protect the little run of exposed PVC (see pic below). Covered it with a mat too because he's cute that way:

image.jpg

Our next challenge is deciding how to handle the air warmer (hot water exchanger) that fits over top the blower. The mfg wants us to put a t after the 1-1/2 heater return with a spigot and run a 3/4" garden hose, insulated. I'm supremely concerned that this will reduce my flow rate profoundly, enough to shut down the Aquarite for low flow. We might run it from an in-pool return instead, and shut down the furthest return to reduce head.

Hubby has come up with a brilliant possible solution but doesn't think we have time to do it for this season. Pool is very close to house and we have a boiler. There's a run of rad right beside the slider doors. Hubby wants to talk to our hvac guy and bust out a run of the rad with a bypass and connect same to the 2 inlets of the blower heater to close the loop...this way no water exchanges with the pool, water temp is way higher (believe boiler runs it at 180) etc. But he wants to think through possible contraindications and take some time working up a plan. Our boiler zone system is a wee bit complicated and we don't want to mess it up.

In other news, I am automating the switch the blower will be on so that I can remotely deflate it in the event of high wind or snow storm via iPhone. Am hoping the GFCI doesn't interfere with remote operation. And I'm working on the cheapest timer/remote automation of pump, light, heater, swg and pool light that I can come up with (likely the Intermatic pe653).

I'm abandoning DIY home automation kits for the moment after learning more about limitations yesterday talking to a mfg...no matter what I do, the 220/240 load controllers are "dumb" and can't be connected to a water temp sensor/probe. I also have 3 different electrical panels running (pool house, main home, and sep one on attached studio) which could mean many phases to network if using dual mesh...which just seems like too much room for error/failure and too much headache to figure out. So I'm going old school for the moment and hoping I just never lose the remote ;)

Due to studio, we also have several WiFi networks so I'm hopeful the outlet remote doesn't constantly drop or detect wrong wifi, but we'll see. Its a possibility.

I'd welcome anyone who wants to weigh in on creative ways to possibly improve the blower warmer situation...let me know and I can post more details.

Here's a pic of the "heater" -- it sits over top f the blower. And a pic of the diagram of connection options.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Yes, that would help.
Today I cleaned it all up again as hubby was avail to help me shake out the leaf Net. Its a PITA because it clings to the solar cover and moves it so that there are "air leak" areas!

Of course, after my swim vac session where I had the pool spotless underneath, got major wind that dumped more in before I could get the net back on ;) thank goodness only a few mor weeks of this nonsense!

image.jpg

And in pool:

image.jpg

And earlier this week at a whopping 39 degrees out:

image.jpg

I should get this thread title changed to Doom Dome Experiment ;)

For those future searchers who want to know all about swimming pool dome installation and operations, here're some additional considerations:

1. Automation for max heating gains...I've decided to get a simple Instamatic PE653 to schedule my overnight heat ups and independently reduce swg run. Trudging through snow to pool house didnt sound fun.

2. Capability to remotely collapse dome in high wind or storm condition -- offsite. - I'd like to be able to do this from my downtown office. I am testing out a relatively cheap WIOn outdoor powerstake that connects to my iPhone. Since I don't have the dome yet, I'm testing on yard lights. So far so good. I will probably buy a second one today exclusively for the dome blower. If I had web-based automation, eg Pentair, I wouldn't need this, but I chose to go with the cheap automation Intermatic with remote to be gentler on the budget considering i don't even know yet how viable this whole mess will be ;)

3. I've purchased a diverter valve that will fit in a reurn, added a PVC joint and hose attachment. This way in uber low temps that risk the dome blowers exchanger, I can shut off supply inside the pool and hopefully it will drain back a bit. In theory, I'm hoping to avoid constantly blowing out element from exterior in low temps ;)

4. I've purchased a Wayne auto pump cover for collapses or when dome is deliberately down. I may automate this switch too for remote operation.

Today its 42 degrees and raining hard. Physio was not especially fun as my exercises require the top half of me to be in open air. Dome would have been fab today! Hi ho!

THE DOME HAS SHIPPED ;)
E.t.a. Next Friday! Installation next Saturday!
Intermatic PE653 has arrived...awaiting electrician next Sat.
And I've proven WiOn from iPhone will control my electrical stakes just fine from downtown office so I've ordered 2 more, 1 for air blower and switch for pool area ambient wall led night lights.

Another small how-to Dome factoid...the "flap" that seals the air in is supposed to be slippery and in my footprint, won't be a lot of pavement left for traction especially on house side, so I've ordered outdoor AstroTurf-type runner for between the doorways.

I think all that's left to do in terms of prep is to swim today. No point chasing the leaves as I will have worker get em all next Sat a.m. before installation begins.

PS Geebot...cool astro dome story. Ours better come in substantially under THAT budget ;) Poor man's version is slated to be prefab 8' Skydome atop raised (eg 6.5') deck/bridge with hatch and ladder and pier drilled into concrete. Construction has not begun as roofers had to resked to Monday due to weather and contractor now wants to fabricate pier locally and wanted roof workers out of way before beginning.

Getting ready for delivery tomorrow...skid is 486 lbs so some thought is going into how to get it into the back ;)

My roofing job completion on the house is still ongoing due to rain and I'm really hoping they finish today or even getting the delivery truck up the drive will be a problem ;) They have the winter cover on the pool right now to avoid stray nails...its reduced heatloss by about half again.

I posted this pic in the "what temp" thread but should post it here for posterity...an "one" swim during fall foliage pre-dome ;)

image.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New name - BioSphere-3

You can conduct exoplanetary experimentations for NASA - how to survive in a world full of water...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.