Anyone Have a Winter Pool Dome - Ameridome or Others?

Kitana....tomorrow am is the big day...we have a couple of guys coming over to help us move it out of storage.

We tested the blower the other day to confirm it was in good working order. The plastic she'd seemed dry, no mildew smell etc. and the desiccant bags were full ;)

Right now were cleaning out the eaves and leaf-vaccing up everything nearby to have the concrete as clean as possible...love my forest but hate my forest ;)

And she's up!

Didn't get pics as I was busy managing the mi ins but I will in the morning ;)

Storage worked out really well. Baking soda kept it clean and fresh but required a very thorough powerwashing to get off, inside and out.

Wrinkles, but they're smoothing out a bit.

overall, reinstall pretty quick and straightforward.

Update...
Will require MORE powerwashing or a good hard rain to completely get all the baking soda off the top of the dome ;) I might have to rethink that experiment next year ;)

I wish i knew a way to minimize wrinkles in the clear vinyl side walls.

Regardless, beautiful swim ths am, air temp inside dome a nice 72 while outside was 55, so its doing its job ;)

image.jpgimage.jpg

Looking good. I've read to use corn starch for storage of vinyl sheet goods but I've never added anything to the vinyl stuff when I store it. A couple of days of sunshine will fix the wrinkles.

Question - which do you think is harder, installing/setup/take-down/storage of “Thunderdome” OR simply closing the pool for the winter?

I know your desire is to do physio workout in the pool, etc., but let’s assume you’re just the average-joe(anne). Is it worth it? Cost comparisons?

Hmm. Good question. Year 1, it's def easier to close. Eg. Measuring and Drilling 42 anchors in my case was more work than draining equip and blowing out lines. Year 2 in our case I think its actually a bit easier to do dome. In each case, we did hire extra labor in. But the labor for reinstall was only 2 hrs and 3/4 of that was waiting for initial re inflation - the two techs wanted to see it inflated and I'd already told their boss I'd keep em a 2 hr min to make it worth booking.

The cost for my specific dome fabrication originally was $3,000 plus $500 shipping, 3 yr warranty. The air blower was $1000 and the air warmer another $1,000. All-in infrastructure $5500. Lifespan tbd.

So, a winter pool cover purchased direct (not thru a dealer) should be cheaper and theoretically last longer.
Heating cost will far exceed cost of opening and closing even if pool tech closings are running upward of $400 in some areas. BUT you get to swim ;)

I guess IF you close and open clean, have a cyclone, know your equipment, and have a lightweight cover, closing and opening is still easier and ultimately a good deal cheaper due to heating cost.

But if you like swimming, have help, needed a new cover anyway, and especially if you're in a climate where you don't really have to manage much snow, then you'd be a candidate for a dome -- depending on your tolerance for heating bills ;)

The owner of the co. told me last year that many owners don't run the dome in Jan-Feb due to heat cost, that they let it sink and act as cover and just keep water flowing and temp above freezing. I'm not sure how well that would work in practice in Mich as I feel the vinyl would be more prone to damage or sinking, but it was a moot point in my case because I knew if I was going to buy it, I was committing to using it throughout.

Awesome, she looks beautiful. I'm sure the wrinkles will iron themselves out with the heat and air pressure.
We are still waiting for it to cool down here. 86 degrees today so we have a very large sauna now. Korean spa anyone?
Pluses: No pine needles and debris in pool to clean.
No mosquitoes.
No more chashing the pool volleyballs down the hill. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Loving the dome so far. The addition of the new solar cover greatly reduced condensation and evaporation. Finally created a gallery. The night time swim lights are LED color changing battery/remote operated lights we bought on Amazon. They are supposed to be submersible but some reviews say otherwise.

Just finished closing my pool. That looks so nice and it makes sense to be able to use the pool earlier and later in the season here in the north.

Gorgeous set up, kitana.
You'll have to keep me posted on how long those LEDs last. I might get some.

What I use for lights during early am physio is the pool light itself but when my electrician set up my automation he couldn't put the pool light on the timer/remote because it shares a GFCI with the outlet that operates my air blower and obviously I don't want those functions chained. Stumbling through snow in the dark to get to the light is not my fav thing, so "someday" he's hoping to get back out and separate the feed. But he's a friend and he's busy so I'm on a wait list ;)

image.jpg

Thanks :). Very cool lighting effect there. Our light needs to be replaced. My husband has not gotten to it yet. Thankfully the hot tub light provides enough light for now. The LED's are run on AAA batteries. Nothing fancy. ;)https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N52R305/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It would be great if we could do an automation set up like yours. We are still in the process of planning for winter issues. Swim time here is in the evenings, usually between 6-9pm.
Crazy wind last night and today. The dome is holding steady. It was pretty nice swimming with friends last night while outside it was 48 degrees wind & rain, pool temp 90, dome air 65.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.