Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
specifically a pentair sand Dollar?
my local "pool guy" saiid it's hard to do. I would normally believe him as he's a young kid and a nice guy (in his 20s, family run business, his dad is the owner).
however, i really got the feeling he just didnt want to do it vs it being near impossible, as he had me believe.
he told me he normally only moves one when it's failed, and so he cuts them open.

anyhow, i want to move mine about 10 feet diagonally.
challenges:
1) it holds 300 lbs dry sand. that is heavy, but a 2 man lift. I suspect it is much heavier wet though.
2) the flat base it is on, is just a stand and so the drum it self is a rounded bottom and this is probably part of what makes this hard. it would be tippy, and would need to be lifted off and back into it's base.

i was thinking i could somehow get it off it's base, onto a 2x6, slide it into place and lift it back on to its stand.
some good straps and some men with strong backs it shouldnt be hard... but what do i know...

strikes me as the kind of thing where if you get 25% of the way you are at a point of not return and have to make it work.

anyone with experience or tips? i would accept a "dont bother" if this is what the majority thinks.

my only other idea is wait until next spring, when it will be dry or drier sand, as i shut my gear down and drain the filter for winter. that's a long ways off.
am i really dealing with 500-600 lbs here? that is scary.

You will probably spend more time trying to move it with the sand in than just scooping most out until you can easily move it. I had a pentair sand filter when my pool was built. Decided to go with cartridge and needed to move it out. I thought it would be a lot of work but it wasn't. Just take the valve off the top and start scooping into a wagon or buckets. Took me about 20 minutes.

no kidding... i wouldnt have thought that would work.
i suppose it does suck up the rocks in the driveway.

great idea folks... my next project is now move the filter and the pump!

normally if i try to suck up anything wet, i take the filter right out.
at that point it just has a float for shut off... i'd say even if i just remove half the sand it should be maneuverable.

I moved mine full of sand and it was a SD-60. I used 2" wide lifting straps and choked two of them around the rounded base and moved it about 20'. Of course I used the front loader on my tractor to lift it. :)

I'd opt for removing the sand because that's one heavy monster full of wet sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Clean out your shopvac really well before using it on your filter sand other wise anything in that shopvac drum will end up in your sand.

Also don't fell the shopvac with sand it will be very heavy if you do. Wet sand is roughly 30% heavier than dry sand and the vacuum will pack the sand very densely.

Well, I moved my sand filter full of wet sand all by my self, I only moved it a few feet but I wrestled it into place! I also used a dolly to roll it into the garage after Harvey destroyed my pool. Still full of sand!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.