Anyone a motorcycle rider?

Smokeyhill

Gold Supporter
May 26, 2018
Follansbee, Wv
I love my Harley. Winter is such a depressing season for me. I once told my wife that winter hurts so bad because two of my favorite things are covered at the same time: my pool and my bike. Spring is just around the corner...FINALLY!!! I considered getting the bike out tomorrow and going for a ride since the temps will be near 60. I took the car along my projected path and decided to leave the bike covered. The cinders and sand all over the road just didn't look inviting to me. Being in West Virginia, there are no straight roads anywhere, and I could just imagine rounding a curve and low siding it.
So, what say you? Do you ride? What are your roads like?

Oh, and if you live in the deep south, where it's riding season all year long:

1. I hate you.
2. If you post a pic of riding in February I will cast a West Virginia hillbilly curse upon you that will turn your pool green for years.

Just kidding.

Sort of.

No, really, post a pic of your bike. If you're able to ride year round, God bless you. I wish I could. Here's me on mine: 2013 FXDB/P_20180905_120758.jpg

Reactions: Divin Dave
Smokey,

Well, it appears to me that you are just a fair weather rider... :)

Here are a couple of pics from when I did ride...

I sometimes still wished I lived in a place with twisty country roads and not 80 MPH freeways... :(

Thanks for the memories,

Jim R.

Yeah Jim, when I was younger I would go anytime, anywhere. Now that I'm older, it just isn't as much fun in bad weather, especially after last years wreck. Those are awesome pics tho. Never been to Alaska myself, but it looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

I used to do a lot of scrub desert riding back in Zapata, Tx in the late '70s Oly. No trails or roads. It was loads of fun! Sure wouldn't want to break down in Death Valley. Beautiful shot though. So different than where I am now. The riding season here is shorter, but I do love riding through the mountains on all the twisty roads.

I've ridden bikes for the better part of 50 years, From when I was 11 years old up until Feb of 2017. My eyesight is so poor these days (long story about that), that I don't trust myself on a bike anymore, so regretfully, I had to retire from it.

I've ridden everything big and small from mini bikes with a Briggs and Stratton motors to Hondas, Yamahas and other foreign bikes to Roadstar and Electraglide to a Touring BMW 1600 GLT, which was my last bike. Man that BMW rocked and was sooo comfy on long trips and it would flat out FLY! I had it up to 132 mph once and it still had more to give.

I rode it from Texas to Utah and back once. Texas > New Mexico > Arizona, then turn North and go through Nevada to Utah, then East and ride over the Rockies then down through the Plains and then South back home. I rode in the hot, the cold and the rain. That trip was almost a month long. Whew, man I was worn out!

I always also looked forward to my annual trip to the Texas Hill Country in the Springtime and hit the twisties down there when the Bluebonnets are in bloom. The Three Twisted Sisters are a pretty awesome ride. If you dont know what Object Fixation is and how to avoid it, then the Sisters are not for you! I literally saw one guy and his girl walking the bike down and around the hairpin turns. I am fairly confident that that guy was not the only one who has ever had to walk it down!

Another favorite was riding in Fall from East Texas headed North on relatively flat land to Eastern Oklahoma then hang a Right on HWY 1 and cross over the Ozarks into Arkansas and ride the ridges south for almost 200 miles. Thrilling!

I never made it out to the Eastern Part of the country but it was on my bucket list to ride The Tail of the Dragon, then maybe head north from there and go up through the Blue Ridge Mountains.... anyways...yeah.

And I'll admit it. I don't have what it takes to be an Iron Butt member. (1000 miles in a day).
Good Times for Sure!

Ride Safe

Last edited:
Reactions: Arizonarob
Here is a pic from a few yrs ago
all  of them1.jpg

We sure had fun with all of these. The stand up ski on the front was my husbands competition ski. He did freestyle and earned two invites to the "World Finials" hosted in Lake Havasu City, AZ. one year! These have all been sold now. We only have one sit down ski and a corvette convertible now. He decided to do "one more lap" on the big bike over a jump. The words pulverize and shatter were used to describe what he did to his ankle :( They were able to save his ankle/foot but the days of hard riding are over. I sure miss them!

Kim:kim:

Dave, the Dragon is on our list of rides. Won't happen for a year or two though, just don't have the time. And I know what you mean about the bluebonnets in Texas, they are stunning.
Our next longish ride will be through Ohio amish country then up to Ashtabula for a tour of the covered bridge region. Looking forward to that one! We may be trading in the Street Bob before long for a Glide or maybe a Road King. I love the Street Bob, but it's just not as comfy as a touring bike. If I can swing it, I would love to keep the Bob and buy a touring bike for traveling.
Here's a better shot of mine. It's 103ci, stage 1 with a Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather and Vance & Hines straight shots. It's been Dyno tuned with a Super Tuner Pro (before the EPA outlawed them and busted HD for selling them). It'll move right along.

Attachments

• bike.JPG
    bike.JPG
    713.9 KB · Views: 5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great pictures and stories everyone. Living in Texas has me spoiled. Even in the wintertime there is usually an opportunity to ride at least once or twice a month. The hill county is somewhere that I would love to spend more time in. Looking forward to maybe seeing some of y’all out there.
Thomas
Ps I’m the guy not on the Harley.

mc may 2018.JPG

Last edited:
I was sitting at a 4 way stop with my left turn signal on.. and it was my turn to go. I looked the driver in the opposing lane right in the eye, but some sixth sense said wait half a second. Sure enough he drove right past me without even realizing I was there. This was long before cells phones.. They are not distracted, they just don't "see" motorcycles... Sigh!!!

Jim R.

I was sitting at a 4 way stop with my left turn signal on.. and it was my turn to go. I looked the driver in the opposing lane right in the eye, but some sixth sense said wait half a second. Sure enough he drove right past me without even realizing I was there. This was long before cells phones.. They are not distracted, they just don't "see" motorcycles... Sigh!!!

Jim R.
You're right Jim. Cagers do not see us. At least the other driver didn't turn left in front of you...I HATE that! But, cell phones are not making matters any better. For the non-riders reading this, a cager is a car driver that doesn't ride a bike.

Remember...LOOK TWICE-SAVE A LIFE ................MOTORCYCLES ARE EVERYWHERE

Yep, can't wait for a little warmth and a good rain to get all the salt off the roads here. Was above 40 the other day, so got the battery back in and all ready to go. Was looking to land another project outside Chicago so I could ride without the cagers, but may not happen this time, we'll see. Oddly enough, the bike is sitting on part of the driveway I hope to tear up during this backyard transformation.

Attachments

• Bike shot.jpg
    Bike shot.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 6
I used to up until about 3 years ago, still keep my DL though. Started with the Honda mini trail as a kid and progressed through all brands and sizes along with custom jobs.
Finally gave it up, getting too worried sitting at a light and thoughts about getting nailed from the back side, too bad. always loved it and miss it. Anyone remember when J.C Penney sold Gemini dirt bikes in the Auto section? If you do you are old like me. They even sold used bikes and bought a Benelli from there.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.