Any way to backwash without turning the pump off?

cdooer

May 12, 2015
Ottawa
Hello. I just got a new Hayward 2303vsp pump installed, and it's working great. The only thing I've noticed is that anytime you 'pause/resume' the pump, say to do a backwash, it always goes into an 8 minute priming session, where it runs at full speed for 8 minutes before gong back to its regularly scheduled programming. This seems unnecessary, especially when the pump has plenty of water in it.

Is it possible just to install a bypass valve, so that all you do is flip the valve away from the sand filter, switch the sand filter over to backwash, then flip the valve back?

Thx.

You should be able to adjust the length and RPM of priming. Look at your owners manual.

Good Luck!

Switching the multiport valve with the pump on is a really good way to blow the seal out of the valve. You should adjust the priming schedule/speed on the pump or turn off the prime setting all together if you don't need it.

Hey guys, me again...so I guess when I wanna backwash, my only speed option is prime (or full blast)? I guess this is the only option, since when I turn the pump off to switch the sand filter setting to backwash, and then turn the pump back on, it automatically starts on prime...right?

Hey guys, me again...so I guess when I wanna backwash, my only speed option is prime (or full blast)? I guess this is the only option, since when I turn the pump off to switch the sand filter setting to backwash, and then turn the pump back on, it automatically starts on prime...right?
You want it on high to dislodge the debris.

You're hosing off the deck. Do you just let it trickle or do you cap it partially with your thumb to get some velocity?

...so I guess when I wanna backwash, my only speed option is prime (or full blast)?

As mentioned earlier, you can go into the 2303VSP menu and set the pump prime duration between 0-15 minutes (in 30 second increments). I have the same pump. I want my pump to run at max RPM for the backwash because that is what dislodges all the dirt trapped in my sand filter. I use the "Quick Clean" button for backwashing.

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/MaxfloVs-IS2303VSP2.pdf

As mentioned earlier, you can go into the 2303VSP menu and set the pump prime duration between 0-15 minutes (in 30 second increments). I have the same pump. I want my pump to run at max RPM for the backwash because that is what dislodges all the dirt trapped in my sand filter. I use the "Quick Clean" button for backwashing.

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/MaxfloVs-IS2303VSP2.pdf

Ahh...looks like I was looking at the wrong manual, which is why I couldn't figure out how to get into the config settings for the pump. I was looking here; http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/maxflo-vs-S2303VSP.pdf

Thx for the help folks, I think I'm off to the races now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.