any suggestions on replacing color logic led multi light pool and spa lights with a basic white set of pool and spa lights.

chris4150

LifeTime Supporter
Hello,

My pool and spa lights stopped working a year ago and Im debating on replacing them. However, I dont want to spend over a grand for them and really dont care if they change colors etc. Any suggestions on replacement with a basic white led or non led light for the pool and spa that wont cost an arm and leg.

Thanks in advance

I did this last year. My Hayward LED lights went bad and replacements were over $1000 each! I bought Standard Hayward Astrolight, so it would fit my niche.

They came with 300-500 Watt incandescent bulbs. I replaced them with a Hayward matching aftermarket LED bulb. One is already failing. I have Standard 80 Watt LED bulbs (equal to 500 Watt incandescent bulbs) which are white and I plan to install shortly. For as little as I run the bulbs, the original incandescent bulbs would be fine. Plus, they warm the water!!! Not that my pool needs help that way.

I bought the Stainless Steel ones, but the Thermoplastic ones are fine.

Side note, if you go the way I did, make SURE the gaskets are installed properly when replacing the bulbs!!! Otherwise you'll short out the bulb in the water.

Hello chris4150
I was in a similar situation back in summer of 2018. I had a Hayward Colorlogic installed when our pool was built in 2011 but it died in the summer of 2018. I made a post here: Need new LED pool light

The very expensive price (>$1100) and low reliability/durability (lasting 1-2 years) of both Hayward Colorlogic 4.0 and Pentair Intellibrite 5G made me hesitant to get a replacement. Fast forward to early Summer 2021 and I decided to finally get a replacement so the family can once again enjoy night time swimming and scenery one last time before my son goes off to college for the first time. I decided to go with the Pentair Intellibrite 5G because I found it for almost 50% less (Pentair IntelliBrite 5G LED COLOR Pool Light for Inground Pools | 12V 50' Cord | 601011) and it had an optional wifi/bluetooth controller (Pentair IntelliBrite Controller 600054 | PoolSupply4Less) so I can control via phone app. I could not find a similar controller for the Hayward so I went with Pentair.

I figured if it went bad, I could replace the "guts" with an aftermarket product:

Compared to the Colorlogic, the Intellibrite 5G is not as good. Certain light colors don't fill the entire pool. As per installation instructions, I set the lens from W (wide) to N (narrow) to prevent this but it didn't help. It also doesn't have the "color pop" as the Colorlogic. The ability to control via phone app and set a schedule somewhat makes up for this. The app also has its quirks but I found a workaround.

So, for me, I chose the Pentair Intellibrite 5G to have the ability to control from my phone (vs the old outside toggle switch) and set a schedule. However, the coverage and the color saturation is not as good as the old Colorlogic.

If you view my other post, there are other possible solutions I listed. There was another poster there that went with an LED bulb for less $$ and is happy with it.

Note that the link to the Intellibrite is the 12V/30feet version, not the 120V version for safety reasons. I had to get a step down transformer ($100) to make this work.

Good luck and let us know how it goes (maybe with some picts :) )

Last edited:
This is an old thread, but since it's discussing the Hayward Color Logic pool lights going out, I thought I'd add something...

I had the same problem I was able to get both Color Logic pool lights working again. My problem, like many people with color Logic lights was that the moment I would turn them on, the GFCI would trip and, of course, neither light would turn on. Based on what I had read from several sources online, this could be fixed. Take the lights out of the niches and put them on the dry deck. Take them completely apart (there are 8-10 bolts on the back holding them together) and let them dry out for a few hours. Reset the gfci and try to turn them on again. Very, very good chance they will turn on. The issue is that the color logics are not completely sealed, so after a few years some moisture gets in. After they are fully dried (yes, just leave the LED exposed to the dry air), clean the glass and seals you removed with clean water. Before putting them back together, put a bead of silicone on both sides of the gasket (housing side and glass cover side) and put them back together. Make sure you tighten the bolts with a ratchet, do not just use a screwdriver. Test them again while on the deck. If they work, just leave them to cure on the deck for 48-72 hours. Test again, and reinstall. There are a few youtube videos walking you through the process. Mine have worked ever since (6 months ago). Saved a ton of money and headache.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.