Any structural engineers?

Jun 1, 2015
Central TX
First off, I hope this is in right area, please move if not.

Pool and patio were just installed this month, now I'm looking into options for the circled pillar. I would love to remove it, but just don't know if it is load bearing. Any ideas by looking at these photos?

Attachments

• IMG_20200602_172624~2.jpg
    IMG_20200602_172624~2.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20200602_172600~2.jpg
    IMG_20200602_172600~2.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 62
I’ m goINV to guess that it’s about a 99% chance it’s load bearing.

Hard to tell the headroom there, but if you have height to spare you could span that with a beam. Almost anything can be done with a fistful of $100 bills....

Butch,

There would be no reason to put it there if it were not structural, as it would look better without it..

Their choice was an expensive beam or a cheap post.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm going to vote load bearing. all the posts seem equidistant from each other and the walls, so the beams between them are the same. Try removing the trim at the top of the bricks. I bet you'll find the bricks are set around a square post (4x4 ) and you might see the bracket that ties the post into the beam. If that beam is continuous then it depends on how big it is. ie, 4x10, 4x12, etc

It also depends on which way the joists run. More than likely they point towards the pool which means that edge is load bearing. If for some reason they run the opposite way it won’t be load bearing but could be where they butted to beams together

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.