My pool was left open and untreated throughout the relatively mild South Carolina winter. The water is thick with algae and pollen. I've begun running the pump and have been using a nylon in the skimmer basket. To give you an idea how thick the algae is I have to rinse the nylon at least every 45 minutes because so much gunk gets caked to it as the water flows through. I'm familiar with the Trouble Free Pool method of clearing algae, however I do have a question. Should I run the pump for a while (a couple of days maybe) to try and get rid of some of the sludge before I shock it, or should I just go ahead and shock it now? Many thanks for your input.