Any reason to bring sand filter into garage for winter

michelegel

Bronze Supporter
Sep 9, 2015
Mamaroneck, NY
Hi All, In the northeast - have about 50lbs of sand in the filter. I know pump etc. need to come inside, but hubby and I have different views on leaving the sand filter outdoors for the winter. Is it worth it to bring it inside? we have a handtruck, so we really could move it if needed.

Thanks in advance!

No.

Just remove the drain plug and winterize it properly. Remove the pressure gauge. It is just plastic and sand and can sit outside in the winter.

There's no reason to bring it in. But if you do decide to bring it in, be very careful not to jostle it much at all as you don't want to break something inside

If you do leave it outside (preferred) That multiport valve should have an "N" position between Filter and Rinse. Put it in that position and open the drain. That opens all the channels in the valve, so it drains completely, and relieves the pressure on the spider gasket. Move the pump and SWG inside and you should be good.

I live in Ottawa. -40 temp at times. I have NEVER. This will be the 3rd winter. First year, professional closing, they winterized. Last year I forgot to totally drain it before the freeze. This year I will remember. Don't forget to open that drain cap on the bottom, and also run it through the winterize cycle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.