Any Pool Automation Grafana / InfluxDB users out there?

love this, gonna follow it. i too run a home server (shout out /r/homelab) and have esxi with vm's running ubuntu and dockers. i run grafana and a full elk stack but my pool is controlled via pentair so i doubt i can grab these stats, since alexa doesnt even work anymore.

Reactions: NCMike
love this, gonna follow it. i too run a home server (shout out /r/homelab) and have esxi with vm's running ubuntu and dockers. i run grafana and a full elk stack but my pool is controlled via pentair so i doubt i can grab these stats, since alexa doesnt even work anymore.
@isriam..
You say that your "pool is controlled via Pentair." I'll take that to mean that you are using either IntelliCenter, IntelliTouch or EasyTouch as an automation controller.
If that's the case, then you are a prime candidate for the nodejs-poolController and it's associated suite of software.

UPDATE: All features in the nodejs-poolController-dashPanel are available for IntelliCenter users and most are available for the *Touch users (There are only a handful of small things that need to be fixed up on dashpanel to be 100% compatible with *Touch systems). And then add REM to the mix and then just configure influxDB and Grafana and you'll be in business.

Below, I have provided some links for you that will get you pointed in the right direction if you are interested. Sounds like you are much more "IT" skilled than many others (including myself), so it should not be a big deal for you at all.

Last edited:
thanks for the quick reply. yea i have intellitouch and since i'm dealing with a quick drain and repair on a wall figured i'd research my broken light. a quick look through your history brought me back here where i replied earlier lol.

i have intellitouch with the screenlogic ip controller. i thought it used some proprietary communication with a closed api and thats why my alexa integration quit working. if you've found a way to communicate with it i'll ready through all your stuff and try and fire it up myself :)

Reactions: MyAZPool
The communications are not published but we've studied them long enough to know how they work. I have no idea what Pentair did to mess up their Alexa integration, but it's never been great. I have an EasyTouch and screenlogic and it's always been iffy at best.

You'll only need an RS485 adapter and we can talk directly to the equipment on that bus. njsPC doesn't directly interface with Alexa but we interface with numerous systems that do: Hubitat, SmartThings [albeit classic at the moment], MQTT (and Home Assistant and all other MQTT compatible clients), Vera, etc.

Just bought a house with a saltwater pool. Am electronics engineer, and things that can be automated or improved get my attention (like the ancient SWG that really needs to be able to alternate its polarity - should be a day job to fix that up).

I'm gearing up for pretty Grafana graphs too. Was thinking to use sqlite as it's easier to store a file on my fileserver but will decide later.

Initially I wanted to display weather graphs (5 in 1 weather station and some wireless temp/humidity sensors dotted around the place) using an RTL-SDR dongle to receive them. But I'd like to monitor the pool temperature too. I bought a cheap floating wireless temperature transmitter for the pool water so we'll see how well that works when it arrives. Otherwise it's tapping-into-a-pipe time.

The link with decent pH/ORP monitoring has me interested too. I find reading pH colours really hard and ORP as a proxy for chlorine activity is good to keep an eye on.

I checked a little earlier, I'm running 1.8.x.
On their website, they said there is no recommended upgrade solution for docker users yet. So I'll wait a while until they roll out something out, and then give it a little time to make sure its stable.
I did add the compatibility for njsPC to work with Influx v2. However, Grafana v2 doesn't support the ability to do dual axis graphs. So if you wanted to see anything on different scales (temp vs pump speed or orp vs chlorination time etc etc) just stick with Influx v1.8. This is such a basic feature and pretty disappointing it isn't in the product.

Hi @MyAZPool. I have all the curiosity in the world to have a system that is as information rich as yours but none of the technical prowess unfortunately. After much help from @rstrouse I have finally managed to have nodejs-poolController and dashBoard working on my RPi. Now I'm starving from statistics from the system so I can track and correlate different parameters. Can you write a few words on how to start with Grafana/Influx DB? I have no programming knowledge whatsoever but eventually I can team up with a buddy of mine if I can point him in the right direction. Thanks!

Hi @MyAZPool. I have all the curiosity in the world to have a system that is as information rich as yours but none of the technical prowess unfortunately. After much help from @rstrouse I have finally managed to have nodejs-poolController and dashBoard working on my RPi. Now I'm starving from statistics from the system so I can track and correlate different parameters. Can you write a few words on how to start with Grafana/Influx DB? I have no programming knowledge whatsoever but eventually I can team up with a buddy of mine if I can point him in the right direction. Thanks!
@mzuniga
I also have no programming knowledge.
Basically, I setup influx on a separate Raspberry Pi. Grafana is running from my Mac. I make it sound easy and for some it is, but it was nearly a bridge too far for me if I hadn't got a lot of help from the smart guys here..
r

Last edited:
Reactions: rellumd
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.