Any Pentair Pump Pro's out there?

Jul 21, 2016
Salina, KS
Today, I have a Pentair single speed pump on an Easy Touch system. I am looking to change out the pump for a Variable speed pump....main reasons is to allow it to run 24/7 (dont have to go turn pump off/on) as well as save on energy costs. Would like to stay with Pentair for a multitude of reasons....so this thread is only in regards to Pentair pumps. I have a 12,000 - 13,000 Gallon pool with 1 waterfall and 2 fountains, if that matters.

From what I can tell, the Superflo VS would work, but it is the lower end of the VS pumps by Pentair. But I am considering that along with the Intelliflo 2VST and the Intelliflo VS (011018 seems to be last years model, and the only difference with the current model is the rotating display which I dont need).

Can someone tell me:
1. Are all my statements above correct?
2. What is the big difference btwn the Intelliflo 2VST and the Intelliflo VS? They are very close in price.

TIA.

The Superflo should not even be a consideration since it does not easily integrate with your automation system.

There are no major difference between the Intelliflo models so whichever one has the better price...

You have automation but you "have to go out there to turn the pump on/off????"

Schedule a run time for the pump and the rest handles itself.

Kevin,

The EasyTouch is designed to control the IntelliFlo pump, so it is the only logically choice..

If the rotatable display is not needed, than the older model P/N 011018, is the most cost effective pump to buy.

As Brian pointed out, there should not be any reason that you need to go outside to your main panel to turn things on and off on a routine basis. The only time you should need to do that is if you wanted to bypass the automation and do something manually.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I appreciate the info. I understand what you are saying about the easy touch and me manually turning pump on/off. I need to find someone in the area who knows the easy touch system. The local company that put it in does not install them much....most people in KS dont go to the expense of an easy touch. So I don't believe mine is set up quite right. I can turn the spa pump on/off, as well as spa jets, spa and pool lights, and pool water features. But it is not set up to turn pool pump on/off. Kind of weird, but I dont want to pay them money to look at it and not know what to do.

I will go with the Intelliflo.

I talked to someone who said they had a lot of experience with these, and there was a few contradictory statements to what I am reading here. He said they do a lot of Superflow, not many Intelliflow. Both are good pumps, but he said the superflo control board can be operated free-standing while he had questions about what you could do with the Intelliflo free-standing (in case something happened to the Easy Touch system and I chose not to replace it).

Any thoughts?

Big,

I suggest you run from who every you were talking with, as he has no clue as to what he is doing.

The IntelliFlo is connected via a serial control cable to the EasyTouch.. If you unplug the cable, or put the EasyTouch in the Service mode, the IntelliFlo becomes a standalone pump.

The EasyTouch can not control the VS SuperFlo because it does not have a communication port. To externally control the VS SuperFlo you can kluge together relay inputs that allow you to select 3 or 4 speeds. This will use 3 or 4 of your EasyTouch relays.. the IntelliFlo does not use any EasyTouch relays.

I suggest that you call Pentair and ask them for a contact at the nearest Pentair Repair Center.. Ask for a reference for someone that can come out and set your system correctly... It is very easy to do, but a little hard to explain over the Internet...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'd have to agree with Jimrahbe. If you have any sort of technical background, then reading the Easytouch manual should be very easy to understand and give you a good understanding of your options.

I had the same dilemma as you, only I have a Compool, which is the predecessor of the Easytouch. I wanted to install a 2-speed pump and I read the relevant sections of the manual over and over. I also read the pump and the 2-speed relay manuals as well. After a couple of weeks of "psyching" myself up I finally got to doing the install. Thanks to all the reading, potting, drawing, schematic making, the install worked the first time!

I recommend, if you are technically savvy, to just review the manuals and if you have the confidence, then install it. You'll also need some mechanical know how since you'll likely have to cut plumbing, etc.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.