Jun 24, 2022
Queen Creek, Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi guys,

Just wanted to see if you know of any other chemicals or factors affecting CYA testing. I've been trying to decrease my CYA and over the past couple of weeks I've been draining/refilling and exchanging water. Four or five days, I would drain a couple of inches and fill it back up and for two days, I'd ran water exchange, draining at low point and filling in the skimmer basket for about 10 hours each day. My CYA is stubbornly staying about 140. One day I am fairly certain it is 140, the next day after more water exchange it looks closer to 160. I understand that this slow diluting is not the quickest way to get CYA down but I expected some decrease, maybe by 20-30 ppm for CYA. I know I am getting some water exchanged because my hardness went from 1050 to 850, but CYA is not changing.
FC 16.0
PH 7.9
CYA 140
TA 110
CH 850
Water temp 90F

My pool water probably has some copper from using PoolRx - pool guy recommended it to clear up algae and I've used it for over a year before taking over the maintenance. I am only using liquid chlorine, no pucks or anything else. It could be simple that I did not drain enough and that there was a lot of mixing during water exchange, my DeltaT was near 5. I just want to make sure there is not something else that I am overlooking. I probably will not be able to do another water exchange for a while now because the tap water and pool water are about the same temperature and I am worried about pool finish to simply drain more during summer, so I might be stuck with CYA at 140 until the fall.

Thank you

Once you are at that level of CYA, your test error is quite large. I suspect you are within that error range with the small water exchanges you have made.

Get a rental sump pump from Home Depot. Start the drain late in the afternoon. You can drain half your pool volume in a few hours. Fill it up. Should be pretty full by late morning.

Once you are at that level of CYA, your test error is quite large. I suspect you are within that error range with the small water exchanges you have made.

Get a rental sump pump from Home Depot. Start the drain late in the afternoon. You can drain half your pool volume in a few hours. Fill it up. Should be pretty full by late morning.
Thank you, I'll do that.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.