Any experience with supplier, Zoro?

Flboy44

Jan 30, 2022
Central Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Any experience with the supplier, Zoro? Looks like they have everything PVC related I’m needing except for the valves! At decent prices! And they carry Lasco fittings, which was recommended to me for quality!
Locating sweep 90’s has been a challenge!

Last edited:
Any experience with the supplier, Zoro? Looks like they have everything PVC related I’m needing except for the valves! At decent prices!
They have been around a while. I purchased a Pelican case in 2014 from them, through ebay. Fine transaction.

Reactions: Flboy44
Zoro is reputable. My first purchase from them was coincidentally also a case.

Prices are usually ok, but they frequently have sales -- especially for purchases over $100 or $200 -- that make their prices unbeatable.

^ What DrewLG said. I use them frequently for work, prices are pretty good and with their sales can be downright unbeatable. I actually ordered a replacement pool pump motor from them before... Also, I've had to make a few returns and other customer service interactions and always had a positive, helpful experience.

P.S. If you create an account, log in and add items to your cart and let them sit for a day or two they will sometimes send you a 10% off coupon to finish checkout. Also, they are owned by Grainger who's site is easier to navigate for part numbers, but Zoro has better pricing.

Why do you think you need sweep 90's?
You really won't see any appreciable efficiency increase. And the sweep 90's can cost twice as much as a standard 90.

Why do you think you need sweep 90's?
You really won't see any appreciable efficiency increase. And the sweep 90's can cost twice as much as a standard 90.
The numbers disagree!

An overall shot of the test system at the AES facilities in Apopka,
1679528372512.jpeg

Where, What And How​

The test took place at the Aquatic Eco-Systems facility in Apopka, FL. In the test, we compared 90º PVC elbows to two 45º elbows and 90º sweeps. Trying to keep the test as realistic as possible short of building an actual pond, a 500US/416UK gallon show tank was used as our pond.

The Short, Common, 90º Elbows
For the plumbing, 3ft/91.4cm of 1.5in/40mm PVC pipe with two 90º elbows that lead from a 1/4hp SHE 2.4 pump to a bead filter running at 6psi was used. For the rest of the test 46ft/14m of 2in/50mm PVC pipe was used with eight 90º directional changes, as well as a 4ft/1.2m vertical rise to simulate a waterfall.

Bob did not want to rely strictly on a flow meter, so the flow was also measured by catching the pumped water in a 45US/37UK gallon tank over a timed period. Each test was run six times and then averaged to get the final numbers in gallons per minute.

Just a quick note here; do not get caught up in what equipment was used for the test. We are not testing equipment we are testing the turning options we have with different pipe configurations. The equipment used is just a means to an end.

The Results​

35.5US/29.5UK gallons/min, which is 2130US/ 1773UK gallons/hr.

Two 45º Elbows next to each other

38.5US/32UK gallons/min, which is 2310US/1923UK gallons/hr.

The 90º Long Sweep

39.8US/33UK gallons/min, which is 2388US/1988UK gallons/hr.

source:

Any experience with the supplier, Zoro? Looks like they have everything PVC related I’m needing except for the valves! At decent prices! And they carry Lasco fittings, which was recommended to me for quality!
Zoro is a very good supplier

The numbers disagree!
The numbers mean bupkiss in real world pool applications and you'll never notice the difference. So, yes. They moved 78 more gallons an hour. But that is dwarfed by the 2300 part in either application. A mere 3.3% increase in production solving a problem that didn't exist in the first place. :)

Also, for the record, I love sweeps. They won't break the bank in relation to the scope of the project budget, whether you need 1 or 30. If they are readily available it's certainly a best practice to use them, they just aren't going to perform the miracles that they are given credit for by the industry. If using sweeps was going to add 2 months to my build, I'd use 90s and never look back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.