Any experience with Pool Essentials "4-in-1" formula tabs?

C3Cl3N3O3

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2015
Fort Mill, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I bought a supply of these at Walmart a while back and run them through my Pentair R171218 Rainbow 320C as a backup. I'd say around the time I started using these was when I started having trouble keeping my chlorine levels up when on backup. I recently refilled my pool and started clean, and immediately have the same issue. Last year I had a supply of 1" tablets to use up, and I ran them through the same Pentair. Then I had the opposite problem, my chlorine went to shock level and stayed there. So the Pentair works and clearly there are different formulations of trichlor that erode at different rates. These do say "slow-dissolving". Is that my issue? I haven't seen a single thread where it is recommended to experiment with different tabs.

5d44ab62-d671-4966-a6a8-e93de48ecfe9_1.211ed6ccf807f09c627d7ddb19430cd6.jpeg

The use of trichlor for chlorinating a pool is not sustainable. They should not be used for daily chlorination purposes.

Another way of saying we discourage the regular use of trichlor and so there is not a lot of experience here with different brands and their dissolve rates.

You need to find out what products work with your pool and equipment.

Watch your CYA as it will accumulate using trichlor. You will be chasing water chemistry problems using it.

Like I said it's a backup for when I'm out of town. I do a dry run for a week to make sure everything works.

You could use floating dispensers but there are only downsides as opposed to adding a few pucks to a hard-plumbed chlorine feeder.

For an erosion feeder to work, you must have high flow rates. Your VS pump will need to be ramped up as the feeders are designed to work with single speed pumps.

My VSP schedule runs for 4 hours at 2350 RPM to skim and 18 hours at 2000 RPM. It seems like that would be enough to get the chlorinator working, but perhaps it isn't.

Yes I have, I was going to get a quote on the conversion last year and things sort of fell apart. I have a new pool company this year, and sadly things are going off the rails again. But I'm totally on board with the SWG conversion. Eventually.
The money you save by firing the pool company would probably pay for the SWCG in a very short time. :giggle:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you’re at all handy, it was an easy install for me.
Well here's the thread.

The 1” tabs erode more quickly than 3” so you’re would need to adjust your flow rate to compensate for this.
It was maxed out for my last 24 hour test. No difference was observed, still losing .5 PPM per day FC with 70 degree sparkling clean water and CYA at 30. I'm adding .5 PPM per day so the chlorinator may not be putting out any chlorine. The hopper looks at about the same level as a week ago when I started this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.