Any downsides to installing a CORE-35 vertically?

aztodd

Gold Supporter
Apr 11, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-35
Hi - I am installing a CORE-35 SWCG this weekend. My current plumbing only really has one straight run on the return side where it makes sense to install this. I've outlined it in red in the attached picture. Just in case anyone is curious, the valve on top allows me to switch the return from the jets to the waterfall, but I only use that occasionally so I don't feel the need to rework everything to get the SWCG before this junction as it would require pretty extensive rework of the plumbing.

Has anyone else installed a CORE-35 vertically? Some googling suggests that it shouldn't be a problem, but I just would love to know if anyone else has done it and if there are any downsides I'm not thinking about here.

The other option would be to hack off the elbow there and install a straight run of about 18" for the SWCG then snake it back down to the bottom. This would get me a normal horizontal installation but I'm not sure it's worth it. Your thoughts & recommendations are welcome. Thank you in advance!

0503210709.jpg

The Core is new and I have only seen a couple installs and none of the have been vertical.. Out of all the SWG the only ones I see vertical are the universal.. What does Discount salt pool say about installing it like that? If they say no problem go for it :)

1620470108602.png

Reactions: aztodd
If you're wondering about vertically installing a CORE-series SWG, there unfortunately is little documentation regarding doing so. The one place I found any info is actually in the the Q&A section on CircuPool's CORE35 page. It has a reply from the admin stating that orientation doesn't matter. Below is the link to the question and a copy of the text:

Q: Is the orientation of the unit important? The plumbing I want to install it into is roughly horizontal but I would prefer that the head of the control unit was 90% from vertical​

Asked by: Marc - 5/24/2019
A: No it's not important. The system can be oriented horizonal, vertically, or anywhere in between.
Was this answer helpful? 6 of 6 Customer(s) found this Answer helpful.
Answer provided by: Administrator (5/24/2019)

You can always try contacting CircuPool to ensure that it's okay to install them vertically. Let us know what their response is if you do or your results from the install. Would be interesting to see it mounted "sideways" vs. all the media shown of it horizontal.

Last edited:
Reactions: aztodd and HermanTX
Hey, that'll work!!! You didn't want the display sideways anyway. Now, you can study it carefully without getting a head rush. :cheers:

BTW, what is on the other leg of that valve? Is that a spa return? If it is, the way you have it plumbed won't be sending fresh chlorine to the spa.

Hey, that'll work!!! You didn't want the display sideways anyway. Now, you can study it carefully without getting a head rush. :cheers:

BTW, what is on the other leg of that valve? Is that a spa return? If it is, the way you have it plumbed won't be sending fresh chlorine to the spa.
True! Yeah I just kept thinking I was going to regret mounting it vertically if I went that route.

The other leg is a small waterfall feature that typically isn't in use, so it won't be an issue.

Glad it worked out! It looks like a good job to me lol. Thank God that PVC has so many adapters/couplings available, if not I would end up screwed 10x over with how often I mis-judge my cuts.

• Haha
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.