Any brands of chemicals to stay away from?

VinnyinNJ

Bronze Supporter
Jul 20, 2022
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I don't plan on using a lot (probably none! :cool:) of pool store chemicals; I did use polyquat 60 when I screwed up! In the past I have used any brand of real bleach, same with baking soda and only used "20 Mule Team" borax. I just purchased CYA off of Amazon, thought it was a good price and I've always thought it was basically all the same. I've never had a salt generator, initially the dealer is doing the salt fill, same with the filter sand. Next season if I do Borates, the place everyone speaks of here is where I'll be purchasing from. I know there's different % of muriatic acid and I see that Clorox is branding pool chemicals now - Are there any "bad" chemical brands to stay away from that people say never again?

I'm just trying to head off problems.

Thanks!

I see that Clorox is branding pool chemicals now - Are there any "bad" chemical brands to stay away from that people say never again?
Anything Clorox besides their CYA. And check the bag everytime to ensure it says 100% cyanuric acid. Any other clorox likely has additives you don't want.

Also run from anything that has 'blue' on the label. It's industry code for copper.

Stay away from any RX / Dr / 911 / 4 in 1 / etc. All magic mystery potions with floccs and clarifiers, and probably copper.

So.

That leaves you with Muriatic acid available in paint stores / aisles year round. (Green / eco / low fumes means 1/2 strength and its fine but you need twice as much)

20 mule Borax available in the laundry aisle. A 4 lb box should be about $4.

Baking soda is $6.99 for 13 lbs at Bjs/Costco/Sam's.

Chlorinating liquid from HD / Lowes / Walmart/ etc.

Reactions: VinnyinNJ
Anything Clorox besides their CYA. And check the bag everytime to ensure it says 100% cyanuric acid. Any other clorox likely has additives you don't want.

Also run from anything that has 'blue' on the label. It's industry code for copper.

Stay away from any RX / Dr / 911 / 4 in 1 / etc. All magic mystery potions with floccs and clarifiers, and probably copper.

So.

That leaves you with Muriatic acid available in paint stores / aisles year round. (Green / eco / low fumes means 1/2 strength and its fine but you need twice as much)

20 mule Borax available in the laundry aisle. A 4 lb box should be about $4.

Baking soda is $6.99 for 13 lbs at Bjs/Costco/Sam's.

Chlorinating liquid from HD / Lowes / Walmart/ etc.
Thanks! I'll totally stay away from Clorox products , there are enough other brands around that I don't need to use them.

I remember when Walmart sold HTH products and all of a sudden there was chlorine with "extras" in it ... I was buying bleach! 😃

Reactions: Newdude
Stay away from AquaMate brand of stabilizer. It takes 3-4 times as much to bring levels up to what they should be.
Thanks!

I'll stay away from them. I just bought Bangor Labs stabilizer for start up. Was a good price for 10 lbs, Pool Math says I need between 8 & 9 pounds so hopefully it'll be enough. I have some really old stabilizer (not much) sitting in my garage from our last pool that I plan to use first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.