Antique pool - what to do about ugly plaster?

Brian Helme

Silver Supporter
Oct 1, 2020
Stillwater, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We bought a house a year and a half ago constructed in 1974. It has an 6K gal. indoor plaster pool, sand filter, Jandy heater. Three skylights above and walls of windows on the east and west side.

Beside keeping the equipment running nothing has really been done to it. The plaster has ugly stains that my wife wanted to paint over, but from reading other threads this does not appear to be as simple a deal as I thought. There appear to be zero issues with the condition of the plaster.

How long would epoxy paint last if I decided to go that route?

Look into Jacks stain kit. It is a kit to help identify staining. The majority of the time it is iron or copper.

Or, take a handful of vitamin C tablets and put in a thin sock. Crush them up a bit and set the sock on a stain for several minutes. Let us know if the stain changes color or clears.

Painting a pool is a terrible idea 99.9% of the time. Pool paint is terrible and you’d be lucky to get 2 years out of it before it starts to get chalky and leaves plumes of paint dust every time you swim. As Marty said, get an ID kit and figure out what the stain is. If it turns out that the stains are not fixable then the proper solution is a new plaster job.

Do you know anything about the construction of the pool? Was it original to the house? If not, when was it built? Plumbing/piping materials used? Any info can help.

Sounds like a great pool, especially in MN.

Barring success with the Jacks Magic Stain ID kit, the pool could always be replastered/resurfaced. Being inside can be used to your advantage, hungry plaster crews can be had pretty cheap during the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.